General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed rings 02 honda accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:25 AM
Default Washed rings 02 honda accord ex

so it started with the car going into safe mode. replaced alternator, distributor because harmonics of aftermarket alternator were tripping cam sensor. thought we fixed then car week later dies, take it back to shop and no error. after a couple months for trying things mechanics says he has tried everything and has no compression at all. The car only has 130k on it, mechanic basically has replaced everything and says it because the rings are washed out. the mechanic is and x Honda tech guy so I think he knows what's going on. Not sure what to do accept replace motor I guess?????

Old 02-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by abadgolfman
so it started with the car going into safe mode. replaced alternator, distributor because harmonics of aftermarket alternator were tripping cam sensor. thought we fixed then car week later dies, take it back to shop and no error. after a couple months for trying things mechanics says he has tried everything and has no compression at all. The car only has 130k on it, mechanic basically has replaced everything and says it because the rings are washed out. the mechanic is and x Honda tech guy so I think he knows what's going on. Not sure what to do accept replace motor I guess?????
No compression at all? The first place I'd be looking is the timing belt.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
No compression at all? The first place I'd be looking is the timing belt.

timing belt is good in the right spot.

Old 02-14-2024, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

timing belt is good in the right spot.
My gut says maybe not; it could be 180° off. Said another way, I categorically dismiss the rings as an issue for zero compression. In your shoes I would have a leakdown test performed and/or a borescope inspection; but I would confirm the timing is correct first. Oh, and I'd change mechanics, I seriously doubt the diagnosis.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you have zero compression the valves in that cylinder are open all the time like a bent valve. If all cylinders are zero then you have an issue affecting all cylinders like a timing belt. Worn rings will give you low compression not zero.

Old 02-25-2024, 07:19 PM

Question, your tech things that rings are washed, has he tried to put a bit of oil in spark plug holes and retest compression to see if it comes up ?
If it is a ring issue like he things compression should come up , if it does not, could be valves issue ,t-belt way off ,

Old 02-25-2024, 08:52 PM

Thanks he has tried the oil thing and the wd40 thing says he checked the timing belt he is an old Honda tech and discussed with a regional Honda guy and they still don’t know.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks he has tried the oil thing and the wd40 thing says he checked the timing belt he is an old Honda tech and discussed with a regional Honda guy and they still don’t know.
Honestly, time for a second opinion.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:34 PM

I agree just limited options where I live

Old 02-25-2024, 10:30 PM

Personally I would have changed tech long ago , A good tech does not start replacing parts until he has the problem diagnosed ,
then and only then you replace the parts that are causing the issue(s) you are stating that he replaced this and that ( lot of parts ) and still has no idea
well my friend he's not a good tech especially being an ex Honda tech , he says rings are washed out? with what ? Gas? Injectors leaking?
It's easy to guess and start replacing parts with someone else's money ,