General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid freezes

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Washer fluid freezes

Tis the time of year. It seems when it gets really cold, I'm going to guess below 25 F, my washer fluid just doesn't work. The stuff I buy says it goes to like -20, but it still doesn't work.

Any tips, suggestions? It is the fluid or something mechanical? Is there better fluids, or an additive I can get to keep it from happening?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:30 AM

it could be something mechanical you can find this out by taking it into a garage to let your fluid thaw and see if the pump works then. what you really gata worry about is it the fluid that froze effed your pump. that happened to the car i bought and it blew up the pump.
as for fluids - 20 should work but what could have happened was if your old fluid wasnt -20 stuff and then you added to it. the old stuff could freeze. i would just thaw the stuff you got and if the pump works still then drain or just run your pump til all the fluid is out. then put new stuff in. here in canada we have -45 C. but i think thats the same as the states

Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It works when it is thawed. I guess I'll drain it out and try something else.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Evaporation of the fluid itself makes it colder than the actual air temperature.

Maybe you're getting water into the nozzles (rain or carwashing)? That dilutes the fluid right there in the nozzle, so it freezes easier.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

That sounds like it could be the case. I'm in Western PA. We get rainy yucky weather for a couple of days, then the temperature will drop below freezing and it will snow. Then 3 days later it will thaw out again. Repeat over and over.

I'm going to drain it all and try some better stuff. I think you can get an additive that guards against freezing too.

It happened last winter once when I was driving somewhere long distance. It had just snowed and it was cold so the roads were very messy and salty. The windshield would get smeared in a matter of seconds to the point no visibility. My fluid froze up and I was left to pouring bottled water out the sunroof onto the windshield. Not fun. I think I need to move some place warmer.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Gee, why does that sound so familiar?
Oh yeah, I live in northeast Ohio...

Snow for a couple days, I get my skiis ready, then it RAINS!
I kinda miss Wisconsin - it gets cold & STAYS cold.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Almost A Senior Member

The yellow Prestone stuff is -32...It's more than the typical blue fluid but the blue at least what I have is +32 or higher. I'm from Mass and never had a problem with the Prestone. Soooo it's either spend more for it or move to Ft. Lauderdale. Personally, I'd rather move.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Just out of curiosity, where do you live in western PA.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by dgp1961
The yellow Prestone stuff is -32...It's more than the typical blue fluid but the blue at least what I have is +32 or higher. I'm from Mass and never had a problem with the Prestone. Soooo it's either spend more for it or move to Ft. Lauderdale. Personally, I'd rather move.
Ironically today I looked at the jug of stuff I have been using and it is the +32 crap. I guess its little more than blue water. I feel kind of dumb, I was just assuming that it went colder then that. I did buy the yellow Prestone and topped her off. Problem solved.

I'm from Butler originally. My work has brought me to none other than home of the groundhog Punxsutawney. I am hoping to move out of here soon closer to the 'Burgh. Its not all bad though, I did meet the girl of my dreams here

Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 AM
de_shadows
Unregistered

Originally Posted by petef23a
it could be something mechanical you can find this out by taking it into a garage to let your fluid thaw and see if the pump works then. what you really gata worry about is it the fluid that froze effed your pump. that happened to the car i bought and it blew up the pump.
as for fluids - 20 should work but what could have happened was if your old fluid wasnt -20 stuff and then you added to it. the old stuff could freeze. i would just thaw the stuff you got and if the pump works still then drain or just run your pump til all the fluid is out. then put new stuff in. here in canada we have -45 C. but i think thats the same as the states
i am having the same problem with my accord (frozen washer fluid).
where is the fuse to the washer motor? thanks!

Quick Reply: Washer fluid freezes