General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default water pump working?

I have a 95 accord 4 cyl that started overheating. Both fans work. after bleeding and adding coolant several times, I decided to remove the thermostat and the upper rad hose to see if the water pump was even pumping water. I didnt think of feeling the bottom hose. anyway, I am trying to find out what kind of flow i should get from the water pump once the car is started and keeping the rad full. I am getting a little flow right now but it is not a steady flow. lots of steam. I dont know the history of the car, I just bought it.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What exactly happens when it overheats? Will it overheat immediately after filling/bleeding?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Roadre, I can start it and let it idle with no thermostat in it and rhe temp gauge will be almost pegged within 5 min. both fans also come on. It seems like it gets as hot as it can as fast as it can. It has been awile but I flushed the cooling system in my truck and it just seemed like i had alot more water flow from the water pump.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

It's unusual, but I have heard of waterpump impeller vanes corroding away to nothing. I guess when you rule out anything easier, you should take off the waterpump & have a look.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Wow, five minutes, that's fast. If you don't know the history of the car then R&R'ing the water pump would be part of a timing belt job. Is the compression OK? It would be a shame to do the WP/TB and find out that there's something else wrong with the engine.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Overheat in 5 mins suggest possible head gasket leak allowing hot gases into the cooling system. Suggest a cold, leak test of cooling system to confirm internal leak.

good luck

Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I went out and looked at it again. filled it up,started it up and the only water coming from the top hose is the same amount of water i am dum ping into the radiator. So I guess that means its time to change the timimg belt. I didnt have any water in my oil and thats why I was looking at the pump. Im glad im not having to do the head gasket. I will let you all know the outcome. Thanks

Old 12-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well sure enough, I got the pump off and the dand blades were seperated from the shaft that spins them. however I think I may have messed up. I removed the oil pump instead of the water pump by mistake. Can someone tell me what the gear inside the oil pump turns?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Maybe you removed the rear balancer shaft gearbox? That's OK, you just need to get a new O-ring and put it back on. Do you have a factory service manual? You should be able to find one at the Sticky: Common DIY and Info. Threads at the top of this forum.

Take a picture of your waterpump and post it in this thread. It would be helpful to others running into this problem in the future.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

The oil pump is the whole front of the engine, #3 in the picture.

The balance-shaft sprocket is #1.

We need to know which one you're dealing with.

Attached Thumbnails water pump working?-1995-oilpump.jpg  

Quick Reply: water pump working?