General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird ass electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Default weird *** electrical problem

ok so i have my cd player in my car and my system hooked up properly(800w 10 inch sub grounded good inline 100amp fuse everything) and i am going down the road and all of a sudden i smell something burning so i pull over and stop and my cd player stops working. i shut the car off burning stops i yank out the radio( thank god for quick release tabs) and cant see anything burning. now i turn on the blower(which had been on at the time) and i get nothing. the cd player doesnt smell burnt(like electronics do when they burn) and it will accept a cd and spit a cd out but the face remains blank except the green light around the edge and the blower still doesnt work...would the blower motor siezing cause that? whats your oppinion on this? i am confused. fuses for everything is good as well(checked with my test light)

Old 02-28-2006, 05:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: weird *** electrical problem

thats kinda weird maybe you toasted the volt regulator.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:39 AM

my friend suggested it might be somthing...i cant remember what its called but it looks like a coil of wires that heats up really hot...but he was in the car when it happend and is a ase certified mechanic for firestone. he said it might just be that something shorted as well. where is the volt regulator and where/how would i test it?

Old 02-28-2006, 11:20 AM

I had similar problem when the blower motor fried in my Prelude. It could also be the resistor for the blower motor (the coli of wires). Start by removing the fan motor, if it smells fried and the shaft is loose that is your problem.

Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM

ok anyone know where and how to get to that blower motor? i assume its under the dash somewhere.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:49 PM

Its under the passenger side of the dash, its circular held on by three bolts, its in the box with the evaporator and heater core.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 PM

cool thanks. i will get to that later today or tomorrow and see whats up.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:03 AM

ok so i hooked up my test light to the car and started checking fuses. the one for the blower gets power but does nothing when you hit the switch...the one for the radio says it doesnt get power but the radio isnt turning on and i wasnt sure if it would show as getting power if the cd player wasnt on...but when i put a cd in it pulls it in and if i hit the eject button it comes out. the power antenna no longer responds to the switch but i dont know if thats tied into the radio or not. any ideas?[:'(]

Old 03-10-2006, 09:37 AM

I know on my cd player, I can eject CD's and insert them without a key in the ignition. I believe this is done by use of the memory voltage from the battery (the 12 volts that are used while your car is off to save the time and your settings). I don't think your radio is cooked, how was the fuse for it? Mine was a 7.5 amp fuse and I'm pretty sure it was in the fuse box under the hood.

Sounds like some fuses just melted to me, and I hope that's all that happend!

Old 03-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Does everything else in the vehicle still work? Did you check all of your wiring harneses in the engine compartment to see if anything had burned? Perhaps you could try to "hotwire" your blower motor and bypass the switch... maybe it was just the switch that fried and that took out a fuse somewhere.... Just a few thoughts on it...

Quick Reply: weird ass electrical problem