General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird batt...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Default weird batt...

at about 3 PM this afternoon, i drove my car for about 1 hour with 15 mins stop.
after that, i stop for about 30 mins. and when i comeback, the battwas flat, i open the bonnet and leave it opened for about 30 mins. it can then run for about 15 mins and it can no longer run no matter what i do.

2 hours later, i got someone to jump the batt for me and it can run till now...

just wondering if there is anythig worng with the battery.
keeping in mind that it went flat in 30 mins flat...

i have checked the liquid in the batt (i believe thats distilled water), but it is still full...

and i use that car daily running about 50K a day.and this is the 1st time this has happened...

thanx guys

Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Default RE: weird batt...

if you were using the hazard lights during your stops and the battery went flat, then yeah, most likely the battery is going bad. some batterys have a higher reserve capacity than others. that means you can use the battery with the car off longer.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 PM

i didn't use the hazard lights when the car stopped.

but at the night after that, I left my neon lights on all night but the batt didn't went flator anything...

its getting weirder and weirder...

Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 PM

in that case, i'd check for loose or bad battery ground wires, also check the negative battery ground cable bolt on the body. it may not be a ground bolt.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 PM

it hapened again yesterday afternoon...
i haven't got time to check the ground wire...
but i was just wondering, would it be the thing that charges the battery(i think its carburator)
or would it help if i get a new battery?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM

Judging from your terminology you're in the UK somewhere... The part you are refering to (the charging system) is called an alternator. In the states there are a number of auto parts stores that will hook up a machine to the car for free and test the charging system and battery, it may be worth calling around to see if anyone around there offers that, if they do have them test it the just buy whatever is bad.... I'd agree though, if it's not a connection issue (loose ground, corroded connections, dirty battery posts etc) then it's most likely either a bad battery or a bad alternator.

Carburator is what older cars used to deliver fuel into the engine before fuel injection was around....

Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM

i have it checked last night and its not the connections. neither it is the ground.
i will try to go to the auto shop sometimes this week or next week to have it checked.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM

use a multimeter to test the altenator-with the engine at idle the voltage at the battery should be between 13-15 volts

Old 02-02-2008, 01:25 AM

i just went to 2 auto shops and a service shop and they checked the battery and they said that the Batt is doing fine and the charging systems are doing fine as well...
and i have also cleaned the terminals (wiping them with white spirits & scraping them). i was thinking of changing the cables. but i dont think that will make any difference...

any other things that can be done to check the faults?

Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Check the other end of each battery cable. Sometimes it's dirty/corroded/loose at the opposite end. Sometimes it's corroded where the actual cable attaches to it's end connector.

Quick Reply: weird batt...