General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:07 AM
lawnmd
Unregistered
Default weird a/c problems

hey guys, I am having some A/C troubles. and I need help.
Brief history, 1996 V-6 Accord I bought it almost a year ago from my wife's mother. The bought it new. The compressor locked up a in the middle of May. I took it to a shop, and they put me on a new Compressor, and dryer. It just does't seem like it was cooling as it should. Here is Memphis TN, it would take 30 mins. to cool down to central vent temp of 42*. I bought a little thermometer to go in center vent. That place told me everything was fine. I took it back there to to have them check it out a couple of times.

So I take it to another shop last week. I have them check it. They say I need a new condensor, expansion valve. So I have them install that with another new drier. When I pick it up. It wasn't working. The compressor wouldn't kick in. It was like they put to much freon in the system, and overcharged it. So I take it back. Have them look at it for 2 hours while I am standing there. They said it would have to stay over night. So the next day they call me and told me they thought one of my pressure switches went bad.

So I pick up my car that afternoon, and on my way back to work a 20min trip and then let it run for 20 mins. in parking lot. It wasn't cooling down past 58 degree center vent temp. So I call them and let them know. They tell me to bring it in on Monday. After I hung up the phone, I noticed my Compressor & condensor fan itsn't kicking off. So I drove it home at 9pm that night, and it was getting real cold in the cabin. But still my a/c & condensor fan wasn't kicking off. So I stopped at a gas station, and raise the hood. My metal low pressure fittings have abouth 1/8 of frost on them.

So over the weekend, I drove it at night and it would freeze you. But during the day time, it won't blow below 50* Them temp at night has been around 75* and during the day upper 80's low 90's. the weather this weekend has been the coolest its been in a while w/ no humity.

Since my compressor, and condensor fan itsn't kicking, off every few minutes, I turn my a/c button off in the cab. I think the shop buypassed one of the switches on the compressor. What do you guys think.

I talked with a parts dealer, and they told me my A/C compressor has three switches. one switch tells the compressor and fan to kick on. The other switch tells it to kick off. The other I can't remember. He told me he thinks they buypassed one switched. And the switch that shuts it off now won't work since they jumped the switch that turns everything on. He told me that each switch wholesale cost is about $10-14.

So if that is the case why didn't these people just replace the switches.

Oh by the way, I pick up my car the first time, and my passenger blinker lens is now cracked and has spider cracks on it. And my passenger side headlight is loose. They said they didn't crack my lens, and it was cracked when I brought it in. Which it wasn't I know for a fact. And my headlight was already loose. Which it wasn't. Because now at night time when I am driving it shakes real bad and you can see it. They said they didn't have to touch my headlight. So i asked him, how did you put the drier in their. He told me he removed grill and slid it underneath the light. then I asked him then how did he tighten it up. There is a fitting that is directing under the light, that can't be reached by other than taking out the light. Either he didn't put me on a new drier, and lying and charging me for a new one. Or he lying about my head light being lose.

If i contest the charges on my credit card, and when the disbute. Can they put a mechanics lein on my vechicle?

So what do you guys think. What now.[/align][align=right] [/align]

Old 07-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: weird a/c problems

wow...i cant comment too much on the technical parts...not that knowledgeable in that area...

but as far as them damaging your headlight, i would look into a haynes manual and see what the prodedure is for replacing those parts....and i dont think you can dispute the charge because of damage done during the work, though i could be wrong. i beleive it has to be directly related to the services they performed (or dis-services, as the case may be).

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 AM

Tell them you will contact the Better Business Bureau. If they damaged your light they owe you for the damage (Or they need to fix the light themselves.) Plus they have charged you for repairs and have not resolved your problem. If they do not resolve based on you telling them you will contact the BBB, then be sure you do in factcontact the BBB.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:11 PM
lawnmd
Unregistered

dropped my car off today. I talked with the manager this morning and he said, he was told the a differant lens, but went and looked at my car, and said he would order the appropriate lens. Would tighten the headlight up. And would make sure the a/c was working properly when I pick it up. But they told me that thursday too. So I am just setting back and waiting. also told them last wednesday, and this morning it wasn't dropping condensation under the car. But my floor board isn't wet.

I just don't understand how I take them a working a/c system, and they replace everything except the compressor thats less than 60 days old, and first time I pick it up, it doesn't work at all. second time it not cooling less than 60*.Plus the compressor and condensor fan doesn't kick off. I should find out tomorrow. I took it to this shop because I work for a company and this shop does our non warrantied fleet work.. They repair about 10 of our cars and pickup trucks. They can fix a piece of junk and it will run for anothr 6-12 months work of abuse. I know they guys do great motor, and trannywork, and general mantenience. But this is our first experience with them on a/c stuff. They told me they had a certified a/c guy. I talked with our fleet man, and he said if they didn't fix my car or give me a particial refund, he would put our account from them, and sent it somewhere else. I think the shop knows this, because everytime I drop my car off, or picked up its our fleet man. I am not trying to cheat this shop, I just want my a/c fixed. Because they sure didn't have a problem of charging me $65/hr to work on it firlabor and freon was $428. Plus parts.

On a lighter note

I was driving my 95 ford ranger 2.3l 4banger home today. I bought it with under 14,000 miles on it 11 years ago. Now has over 150,000 It has never had the a/c system worked on at all. Not even a fresh can of freon. I was driving home today, with the a/c on high speed recycle. I could see my breathe in the cab. It was 90 degrees outside. I wish my a/c in my accord worked like that. now thats what I call an a/c.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 AM

Try posting your problems here for a second opinion:

http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=2

Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM
lawnmd
Unregistered

picked up car yesturday.
My broken lens was fixed. My headlight was now fixed holded tight was ZIPTIES.
A/C blew supercold on the way home and this morning, dropping good condensation under vechicle,
BUT THE COMPRESSOR AND CONDENSOR FAN STILLS DOESN'T CYCLE OFF.

I had to listen to the mechanic gripe about how that he didn't break the lens, and the headlight wasn't loose when it came in. That I should of brought it to them first, and none of this would have happened. It would have been fixed right the first time.

I know the cars old, Ibought it from my wife's parents who bought itnew. This is the3rd, count it3rd A/C complete system on the car. Came with one when it was new. Another one with52,000miles, I found the repair Receipt, andnow at 103,000.

I am going to call the owner this morning, but I don't think I will taking my car back there ever.

So now I have to figure out how to get the compressor, and condensor fan to cycle off.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Sorry for hijacking.

My fan unit gives off this musty odor when it starts...but after a while it goes away. It's quite annoying....as soon as you step into the vehicle you get this pungent odor (gross). I don't know if it's wafting from thr trunk to the front (the trunk smells the worst) or the fan unit / filter is out.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:32 AM

isnt that usually a sign of bacteria in the drain area? may need to be cleaned.

or, maybe you smell musty...and it takes a bit to clean that out of the cabin?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:57 PM
lawnmd
Unregistered

was looking at my car today. The car was running and a/c was off. Now when my radiator fan kicks in the condensor fan kicks in to. A/C is completely turned off. I am trying to remember, but before my a/c condensor fan only kicked in when my a/c woudl come on.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:05 PM

the latter would make more sense.

Quick Reply: weird a/c problems