General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird dead battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 PM
guugoo
Unregistered
Default weird dead battery problem

hi everyone...been checking this forum for sometime now but posting today for the first time as i have come across a problem which i cannot solve. tried to do a search but most of them ended up not describing my problem completely.

so, i try to get in the car but was unable to with the remote key, had to manually open the doors. tried to start my car but nothing happens. no lights, no stereo, nothing. i then asked my friend to help jump start the car. when the positive to positive is connected, and the negative on my accord is on the chassis and we connect the other end to my friends car battery, the alarm goes off on my accord. its as if the panic button has been pressed.

i did not try to start the car with the alarm going off as i was afraid to blow up some fuse i am not aware off. but i could definitely use some advice here to find out why the alarm is going off and how i should proceed with jump starting the car.

thanks in advance.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Default RE: weird dead battery problem

it sounds like your battery is completely dead.... perhaps the alarm is draining it, try popping the hood, then get out and lock the doors, next connect the jumper cables and see if the alarm goes off, if it does hit the unlock or disarm key and see if you can stop it.... I bet it's just been reset since you had a battery failure... even if you try to start the car with the alarm going off it shouldn't blow any fuse unless something is wired wrong

Old 11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
guugoo
Unregistered

thanks for the quick reply...i will give this a try early tomorrow morning as its too dark now and dont have the friend around either. will post with the results. thanks.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:09 PM

what year is your car....
I had the same problem couple weeks back.
What i foud out is if the battery is compleatly dead and u try to jump start the car the alarm will sound.
Horn will beep once only and after that it will stop.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:23 PM
guugoo
Unregistered

its a 99 accord EX. however my alarm goes on continuously.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:43 AM

Is this a stock alarm or aftermarket?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:44 PM
guugoo
Unregistered

its a stock alarm.

ok, i tried what sir nasty had said and the car did start but the alarm would not shut off. it was continously blaring even after i tried unlocking the car and disarming the alarm. i left the car running for a little bit after it started and disconnected the booster cables and the car continued to run but the neighbours started to come out so i had to shut it off. it would not start again after that, but i am pretty certain it will if i jumped it again.

is there any way for me to disarm the alarm? fusebox perhaps?

Old 11-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the alarm did not know you unlocked the door and when it had power restored, it goes off. This is common. All you have to do is press the unlock (disarm) button and alarm will stop.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:30 PM
guugoo
Unregistered

i did try unlocking the doors but that did not stop it. i am willing to give it a shot again....boy...my neighbours are gonna be really pissed now

Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can try lock and then unlock.

Quick Reply: weird dead battery problem