General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Engines Help ASAP please

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Default Weird Engines Help ASAP please

Well my 1994 5 sp has a weird engine problem maybe electrical.
The problem started today.
As I drive the car the display panel dies the revs speed and everything but the engine still running but even when I floor it all the way it wont accelerate and the revs dont blink just staying idle until the car momentum makes the car stop.The engines still runs but the revs wont move even move. its just like if i wasnt accelarating the engine just idles. So after It did it again I turned the car off and tried to start it but it wouldnt start it took me like 20 mins in the highway to finally the car decide to turn on. Thes also no check engine code. Any Ideas please help asthis ismy daily driver and I drive 200 miles to work thanks.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Default RE: Weird Engines Help ASAP please

Admitidly that is a weird issue.... What did the car do when you tried to start it? Does the car do anything else weird when it happens? does it act like the car is shut off (I.E. no power, no stereo, no dash gauges) but the engine still idles?

Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Well it happened again and since its a 5 sp the car runs when the thing happens the cars runs until it come to a complete stop or if I put it in neutral as it coasts. I noticed I can turn it back on after a few minutes but only when my dash icons turn on if I put the key in and the dash Icons dont turn on I cant turn the car on by fliping the switch and pushing the clutch. It kindoff acts like when the alternator goes bad except that I cant even accelerate or even move the rpms pnce the car goes into "shutdown mode" everything else works light radio when this mode is on. Could it be the ecu or th map?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 08:42 AM

Ihave loooked at everything and can find nothing what sends the signal so the dash icons turn on?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This has the appearance of a keyswitch fault, not providing power to system. A not uncommon Accord problem. If dash panel is dark w/ keyswitch in ON position, keyswitch has to be at fault IMO.

A new keyswitch contacts assy is easy to install. Honda shop manual describes well except you don't have to drill off the heads. Most use a sharp punch and hammer to rotate them out w/ side taps on round smooth bolt head (security bolt).

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 AM

Can this happen as the car is running? And I wonder why it fixes itself after a while. I hope your right. How can I make sure its the keyswitch?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Yes, it can happen while running and can be intermittent. You can rig a tell-tale light to the Blk/Yel power lead from the keyswitch, although the dash panel is the same thing since it isfed by the blk/yel lead from ignition switch. If panel goes black while driving and engine dies the keyswitch is most likely fault. It could be a wiring or connector fault, but that is less likely.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 11:31 AM

Well you know when you turn your lights on the mph light up well that works but the rest doesnt the icons dont turn on at all so I guess what your saying must be right on point. The car has a clifford alarm and the splicing of the wires looks really bad could that be it?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-26-2007, 01:10 PM

Absolutely, a poor wiring connection or bad relay in the alarm could cause same effect as defective keyswitch.

good luck

Old 05-26-2007, 02:05 PM

I wonder how should I go about this. Take it to a tech?
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Weird Engines Help ASAP please