General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird idle on my 95 Accord Vtec automatic sedan please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default weird idle on my 95 Accord Vtec automatic sedan please

hello guys, i bought the car 3 weeks ago, and so far car is perfect, but there is a isue that it reallt annoys me and worries me. The car idle up and down with out step in the gas between 60 and 68mph, only at this range. I change the thersmostat, air filter, oil 5-30w, fixed a leak from the vtec selenoid.
Note: cruise control does not work, trasmission shift ok and smoth. I di kind of notice the car a little bit rough, i mean, like heavy when i step the gas. This is a video on YouTube i pisted for you guys to see what does. Im new in the forum so please, my apologies if this infornation is already disscused on another post, i look all ocer the forum but i did not see anything. Thanks in advance for your help guys, i love this car, is honda, i want her to run perfect :-) car has 127000 miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYNjjGoKHgY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

I know this is a bit old....sorry must have slipped thru.

Check for any stored codes, all you need is a paperclip.

Check the trans fluid level. Also there is the throttle control cable from the throttle body going down to the trans....is needs to be checked for proper adjustment.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
I know this is a bit old....sorry must have slipped thru.

Check for any stored codes, all you need is a paperclip.

Check the trans fluid level. Also there is the throttle control cable from the throttle body going down to the trans....is needs to be checked for proper adjustment.
Hi, finally someone jaja, how can check for these codes myself? I also called the dealer, they wanna charge me 110 just for testing the car and finding the problem wtf, do you think I shall do it? I am poor, but well, is my car. Thanks for replaying

Old 03-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Fluid looks at good level, smell kind of weird, I cleaned the shift selenod , the one on to, the otherone a couple of inches down I couldn't get to the bolts mehh

Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

I've moved this for now

At the top of this section (General Tech) there is a sticky - Common DIY Threads. In that there is a how to for the codes. All you need is a paperclip or piece of wire to jump the service connector. The watch the D4, CEL lights. Count the flashes, if any.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, I just watched the video....sorry I didn't do that before but I wasn't sure if you were coming back or not.

To me, it looks like the trans is going into and out of converter lock up. So with that, still check for codes - didn't see the cel on so at this point when you jump the connector pay attention to the D4 light.

From there, I'd check the throttle control cable - goes from the tb to the trans - for proper adjustment and movement. Next, I'd do at least two drain and fills of the trans with Honda Trans fluid. Again using Honda Trans fluid has always done me well and I can't tell you the number of stories I've seen of issues where non Honda trans fluid was used.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ok, I just watched the video....sorry I didn't do that before but I wasn't sure if you were coming back or not.

To me, it looks like the trans is going into and out of converter lock up. So with that, still check for codes - didn't see the cel on so at this point when you jump the connector pay attention to the D4 light.

From there, I'd check the throttle control cable - goes from the tb to the trans - for proper adjustment and movement. Next, I'd do at least two drain and fills of the trans with Honda Trans fluid. Again using Honda Trans fluid has always done me well and I can't tell you the number of stories I've seen of issues where non Honda trans fluid was used.
First of all, thanks for taking the time to answer me man!
I think I found what it seems to be the issue. You know I changed the thermostat on the car, it cost me $7. At autozone, 180Fº when the OEM is 195. Anyways, since I couldn't remember if the car was having this problem before changing the thermostat, I had to take it out to make sure, so I did yesterday, and guess what, is not doing anymore. When I checked it, I noticed that it wasn't completely closed, plus I did noticed for a couple of times that the T gauge was higher at times and lower at others. Thermostat wasn't working properly. Now the rpm is constantly at 2500 @60mph, rember it used to go from 22 to 25? No more, just 2500. The engine is running rough now, since the sensor is sending cooler temp to the ECU, well u know that lol, no thermostat, rough idle. So i believe that that was the problem, semiopen thermostat, no closing like supposed to, making the engine running cooler st times, and, air on the system, yes i did not bleeded as it should be done,. What do you think? This could have been the issue? I mean, is gone since i took the thermo out, and i did right ifter i got home from work, it took me 10 minutes, started the car and went to the highway to test, and gone. Im not a mechanic, all i know is from questioning people haha, but this entire thing mske perfect sense to me, im just fallowing the logic lol....i know it could be wrong tho....i havent checked for codes, im gona do it anyways, have to read the post u told me where it is explained, im gonna get a thermostat from the dealer today, and im gonna flush the coolan too, refill with honda coolan and see if this is gone for ever, wish me look, lets see, i would like to know your thoughs

Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Could be the temp. I know the TCM reads the coolant temp from the ECT sensor and that input is one of the "controls" for the converter lock up.

Get the proper t-stat in the car, bleed the air....and see what you've got from there. Let us know how it works out.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

And by proper thermostat, go to the honda dealership and get one for your car.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, bad news, I put the OEM thermostat on the car, with honda antifreeze, I did bleed the air, the problem came back, now I don't get it. With no thermostat doesn't do it and with thermostat does it. It does it a little bit less, but the problem is still there I don't get it, I really don't, any idea what could be causing this?

Quick Reply: weird idle on my 95 Accord Vtec automatic sedan please