General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

WEIRD issues with my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Default WEIRD issues with my car

So I've got a strange issue that I'm thinking is electrical but I can't figure out what or how. So I was driving down the road, braked a little bit and the abs light came on, my stereo went off, my speedometer needle bounced down to 0 and came back up to the speed I was going (about 25), and the abs light went off and my stereo came back on (no loss of power hesitation etc), Then a few seconds later it happened again, abs light on, stereo off, speedo needle bounced down to 0 and back up, then the light stayed on for longer and the stereo stayed off (speedo was fine) and I noticed a very distinct clicking noise coming from the passenger side of my dash, it sound like a relay going click (1 second pause) clack, (1 second pause) click, pause, clack, not fast enough to be a wiper relay or anything else. Then the light went off when I got home and everything went back to normal (about 30 seconds).
This happened again today after driving for about 7 miles, I was going 45 this time and I noticed that after it happened once if I let off the gas totally it would happen, then push the gas down a little bit (just enough to maintain speed) and it would go off. This worked for a few times but then finaly just before pulling into work I couldn't get the light or anything to go off.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? For some reason I want to call it an alternator issue but that just doesn't sound right. I also can't recall but can I get the stored ABS code with the blue service connector short? (yes I know I can look this up in the DIY section but I doubt the code is the issue so I'll do it later)

Old 10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: WEIRD issues with my car

This is your '94?

Can you make it happen by wiggling the key as you drive?

Yes you can get the ABS code by jumpering the same connector. But the syntax of flashes is different.
Long flash & long pause. This isn't the code yet.

Short flashes = first digit of code.
Short pause
Short flashes = second digit of code.
Long pause
Next code... etc...

Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM

Yeah you get the ABS code from the blue connector. I was originally thinking your alt was probably screwing up, but I figure you would have some loss of power if that was the case? Are the battery connections clean & tight? I always recommend checking those becasue i almost got myself into a diagnosing tizzy but my problem was simply loose/corroded connections at the battery. Sometimes I forget to check the simplest things first when Itry to diagnose my own problems.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 AM

I'll check the connections since that is a possibility and like you mentioned something I hadn't even considered since there is no problem starting no loss of power etc. The thing that confuses me is the weird click from the passenger side, and the radio going dead. My cigarette lighter maintains power and the car runs/drives fine except for that light and the stereo.

It is my 94' accord and I'll try the key thing.

Any idea on what relay is located under the dash on the passenger side that would click like that? It's WAY to slow to be a blinker, Also, I forgot to mention that a couple of times when I'd hear the click my abs light would dim slightly and come back strong on the second click. But why the stereo issues?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Are you sure the click is coming from inside the car and not from the ABS unit itself?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

Are you sure the click is coming from inside the car and not from the ABS unit itself?
Sounds have a funny way of travelling around inside the car.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Too many unrelated systems affected. I have to say alt/voltage regulator or battery connections. Let us know what you find.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 PM

I'm almost certain it's from inside the car since all my abs stuff is on the drivers side not passenger, plus it's way to loud to be from the engine bay

Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

have you done any dash ( underdash work ) recently ?? instrument cluster work ??

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM

haven't done a thing to the car recently. Can you confirm for me what color the wires are going to the service short connector?

Quick Reply: WEIRD issues with my car