General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you all Think about Hot Glue Dent Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Default What do you all Think about Hot Glue Dent Removal?

My other post was yanked, for what I don't know,
perhaps because I had Ebay links, but that was
just to explain what I was going to buy.

Some jerk really messed up my right side rear
quarter panel (see photos below) of my 2005 Honda
Accord. The body color is either black or very dark
blue, with metal flakes in it. It's Honda color # B92P.

What do you all think about using hot glue and
a regular dent puller? I was thinking of getting
the hot glue and pull tab kit, and just a regular
1 lbs. dent puller, just to see if I can do it.

Here's a pic of the damage:

Old 06-03-2012, 02:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

My experience with those sorts of dent pullers is that they are made for small dents such as one might get from a shopping cart banging into a door, another door opening into your door, hail damage, etc.

Your damage looks pretty significant, I had similar damage to a rear door and since I could get decent access to the inside of the door by removing the door panel, I used a hammer and bucking forms to take out about 99% of the damage and then finished with glazing or body filler and then glazing, depending on the extent of the remaining imperfections. You'll have to use those fillers as well, even after using the hot glue technique in most cases. Also note that if the damaged area is not the original factory paint, it is likely you will remove the paint under the hot glue area when performing the dent removal. Not that this is a show stopper, just be aware that repainting is going to be part of the repair unless you are lucky and just removing small dents on factory painted surfaces.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

If you can't get behind those panels to use the hammers, there are also slide hammer dent pullers, but these of course require drilling of the panels to attach the hammer. This is not as bad as it sounds and will help ensure better adhesion of filler products. You want to use as little filler as possible, so repair it by mechanical means as much as possible first. You may find that much of it can be repaired by unbolting and bolting on a new rear fender repair panel. These aren't really too expensive to find and you doing the labor will reduce cost significantly.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:31 AM

B92 is black, they don't use it anymore now they use 731.