General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM
richb
Unregistered
Default What to look for..

Hi,

Sorry for the newbie questions, I am am looking to purchase an Accord (Diesel), approx 2004-05, probably with something like 80k-100k on the clock.

I am interested to know what to look for, problems I may face. I believe the cambelt (or chain?) is due around 75k, does anyone know the approx cost for this?

Is there anything I should particulary look out for, I have never owned a Honda before.

Last question, I realise the 6sp gearbox arrived early 2006 so I suspect I will end up with a 5sp. Is there any major differences in the performance/economy?

Thanks again and sorry if I am repeating what has already been discussed.

Rich

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Default RE: What to look for..

Well, first off, the Accord Diesels don't come out in the United States until 2009, unless you were to get an Euro Accord Diesel. It is all up to you. You may live in Europe for all that matters and be able to buy one down the street. Seeing as you have never owned a Honda before, they are pretty reliable, but I think the 5th generation Accords (1994-1997) are the most reliable out of them all. As for economy and performance, depending on the way you drive (high RPMs, fast speeds vs low RPMs, slow speeds), you really can't get both at the same time. You have to sacrifice one for the other. My car is rated 21 mpg city and 29 mpg highway, but if I drive like a bat out of hell, I will get way less! In my opinion, the six speed would be better since it is geared a little higher than the five speed, but I've never tested a six speed and a five speed on the same type of car. Hey it is cool that you want an Accord Diesel, but here, diesel fuel is much more expensive than regular gasoline, but good luck!