General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What might be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Default What might be wrong?

Hello me again! yay more car trouble...

Ok Details :
honda accord 93 LX 4dr Sedan
Auto-Trans 4 cyclinder
recently got timing belt changed, water pump, and all the other junk you change when you change the timing belt....
Just fixed a severe shaking problem and according to the mechanic it was oil in the spark plug area and a clogged fuel injector. He said he cleaned the fuel injector and he changed one of my spark plugs with another old plug he got from a junk yard (the part of the plug where you insert into the socket is slightly longer than the original and it pops out a bit but he said its compatible.)

Shaking has stopped, except when on D4 gear it does very very minor shakes. Sometimes I hear the timing belt so I might need to get that adjusted...

However the main problem im concerned with is my car's acceleration. Normally I wouldn't complain about how much faster it seems to be going but its not normal for my car to do this, and I'm afraid its going to get messed up because its running off key.

Ok normally, my car has a slow acceleration. It doesn't kick the second I gently press on the accelerator. Now I just put my foot on it and the RPM kicks from 0 - 2000 but I've had times where it goes up to 4000-5000, then it goes back down to 1000-2000. When i drive on the freeway going about 70mph I normally go about 2500 rpm and at 80-90mph is about 3000-3300rpm, but now when I go 70 the rpm is at 3000 and at 80 the rpm is about 3500 - 4000. The gas pedal feels as if there is no pressure and that it will go down easily. The car also sounds much louder than normal. I have an intake and an exhaust and I usually can listen to music while driving but now I have to turn my music loud.

Also when I turn off my car, I hear this sound made by air like a metal rod dragged on cement floor coming from the intake.

Anyone know what my problem is if there is any? I think I should get new sparkplugs but I'm not sure.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: What might be wrong?

A little tough to follow but I would suspect some type of trans problem. Has or does your D4 light flash? Does the Check Engine Light flash at all?

Cleaning the throttle body and idle air control valve usually smooths the idle.See the sticky post on this subject.

Never heard of an intake making any significant noise. I would have someone turn car off while you try to pinpoint the source of noise. The catalytic converter heat shields are a typical source of rattling noises.

good luck

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Does '93 still have the cable from throttle to tranny? If so, it sounds like it might need to be adjusted.

I'd toss the old spark plugs & get a set of stock NGK plugs. They're not that expensive. The whole idea of putting one used spark plug that doesn't match the others... ???

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 PM

The problem with oil getting into the plug wells is that the oil also soaks into the spark plug wire boot. You need a complete valve cover gasket set, a set of spark plugs and a full spark plug wire set too, ALSO a PCV Valve, its grommet and the PCV hose should get replaced. Lack of good PCV action will blow engine seals.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 PM

D4 light hasnt flashed in awhile. there is no check engine light either. Sometimes after turning my car on and off a few times, I might get a D4 flashing light with a check engine light. However I just turn off the car completely and turn my car on until D4 no longer flashes, then my car will start.

Ok I'll go to AUtozone to see if I can find some spark plugs that match. And I dont know what the mech was thinking but he said, the spark plugs were compatible.

As for the throttle cable, I think its connected to tranny but I noticed that when I push the switch (dont know what it means) that makes the engine run faster and it pulls the cable out and it doesn't get pulled back in. Is it suppose to be tight or loose? It currently is loose.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 PM

The cable should be slightly loose, to allow for temperature differential changes, you should verify if this cable is for the gas pedal, the transmission or the cruise control please. What switch are you talking about, I think you are just giving it the wrong name???

Old 10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

There's a throttle cable from the gas pedal, that one needs to be adjusted so there's at least a little slack when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

But the one I was talking about goes from the throttle to the tranny, & it's job (simplified) is to tell the tranny when to downshift. Too loose & it'll stay in higher gear when you step on the gas. Too tight & it'll downshift when it's not really needed.

My only Honda automatic was '98 & that cable had been replaced by computers talking to each other electronically. So I don't know exactly how it's supposed to be adjusted.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

You should try to find and post the codes stored on the ECU/TCU. http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/ has a link on how to get CEL codes. Those codes could help pinpoint a problem with the car.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 AM

Oh my... sorry about all the confusion. I don't know much abuot cars. When I have time, I'll take pictures of whats under my hood and show you guys what I'm talking abuot. sorry abuot all this.

I'll try to have pics up in a few days. But the best I can describe it is that the switch is connected to the fuel injector and that wire seems loose. I'll get more details and post it up. Thanks guys.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Some of the trans codes don't cause the D4 light to flash during normal operation, however you can obtain the code by shorting the service check connector and reading the D4 light flashes.

good luck

Quick Reply: What might be wrong?