General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What options do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default What options do I have?

So I have a '97 accord ex 4cyn with 150k miles. What can I do in small increments (to spread out costs) to pep up the engine and/or maybe increase mileage? I want to keep the stock look and am not interested in modifing the exhaust. My shocks, bushings, etc. have never been replaced so I guess changing those would help the ride as well. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!
Ray

Old 03-12-2013, 02:45 PM

I would do 3 things, at the same time.

I would go with High Performance spark plugs.
NGK Spark Plugs USA
NGK Iridium plugs are pretty good. Both of my accords came factory with them.
I put a set in my 96 Celica, and it made a difference on MPG and power.

Another thing you can do is get a upper cylinder\fuel injection cleaning along with a new fuel filter.

If you do all of those, you will get better spark, better fuel input, and a cleaner burn in the engine, all of those combined would do wonders.

I know first hand, as I had this done last summer to my Celica, and it brought back the power that it use to have, maybe even a little more.

Hope this helps

Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by posativJ311
I would do 3 things, at the same time.

I would go with High Performance spark plugs.
NGK Spark Plugs USA
NGK Iridium plugs are pretty good. Both of my accords came factory with them.
I put a set in my 96 Celica, and it made a difference on MPG and power.

Another thing you can do is get a upper cylinder\fuel injection cleaning along with a new fuel filter.

If you do all of those, you will get better spark, better fuel input, and a cleaner burn in the engine, all of those combined would do wonders.

I know first hand, as I had this done last summer to my Celica, and it brought back the power that it use to have, maybe even a little more.

Hope this helps
How about upgrading to a cone type air filter?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by deathraypa
How about upgrading to a cone type air filter?
Unless you want to spend thousands of dollars on a turbocharger installation, then there really isn't anything you can do to make a measurable increase in power beyond factory stock; cone filters and other snake oil elixirs included.

Just keep it properly tuned, clean out the plenum if it is gunked up by blow-by gasses from the EGR (if so equipped), and either save your money for the aforementioned turbocharger, or a new(er) car which is faster.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Keep up with the timing belt....with the age and miles on yours you should have had it changed already, might even be due for another?

Tune up stuff....plugs, cap, rotor and inspect wires. Fluids - trans, engine, ps, brake, coolant. EGR ports ?, just a matter of time.

Suspension stuff as needed .