General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is PZEV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
waybackwhen
Unregistered
Default what is PZEV?

hey,
i'm in new jersey and i am looking at my dealer's site for an 09 accord coupe and a bunch of them say that they are "PZEV". i googled it and i guess it means "partial zero-emissions vehicle" but what does that actually mean and is it better to get a PZEV vehicle than a non-PZEV one? you can see how they list it here, if you want. i don't know if it'll help: http://www.dchonda.com

thanks a lot!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Check the wikipedia entry for it too. Sounds like some California regulatory stuff. As soon as I saw "CARB" I figured I didn't really want to know.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Partial Zero Emitions Vehicle Something to do with how clean the car runs. Near zero emitions (sp) or something.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
waybackwhen
Unregistered

wiki says
"These five "clean car states" have implemented California's more stringent motor vehicle pollution control rules. Other states soon began implementing these standards, including Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington, and PZEVs are now widely available in the United States"

so, i guess new jersey is also a PZEV state, but i am still not clear on why they offer both PZEV and non-PZEV vehicles in new jersey if we have adopted these standards. can i still buy a non-PZEV one? anyone know?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by waybackwhen
wiki says
"These five "clean car states" have implemented California's more stringent motor vehicle pollution control rules. Other states soon began implementing these standards, including Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Washington, and PZEVs are now widely available in the United States"

so, i guess new jersey is also a PZEV state, but i am still not clear on why they offer both PZEV and non-PZEV vehicles in new jersey if we have adopted these standards. can i still buy a non-PZEV one? anyone know?
Yes you can buy both. I live in Mass and bought an '09 and it's PZEV also. It's not a required standard yet just Honda being proactive I guess. If/when it's a requirement you'll be fine without this. Just think of the (millions?) of cars on the road that are not. If a car is what's the problem with buying it? Guess I don't understand.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM
waybackwhen
Unregistered

oh, don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against high emissions standards. i just don't understand the rules of the game, i guess. and i am confused as to why they would still sell both pzev and non pzev if they really want to adopt a standard to only sell low emissions vehicles.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:32 PM

It is just a bunch of restrictive crap that lessens the efficiency of the engine - i.e. reduced horsepower. Also a bunch of stuff that will deteriorate over time and cost a bunch of $ to replace.
That's why I'm glad I live in Mississippi and don't have to deal with that stuff. We don't even have emissions testing. To get your inspection done here, you flash your headlights, hit your brakes, turn on your blinkers, turn on your wipers, honk your horn, pay $5 and you get a sticker for a year. I could drive in there with no catalytic converters at all and they wouldn't care. The inspection stations are usually quick lube places. I just renewed mine last Saturday and they didn't even check the back of my car. I could have had no brake lights that time and still gotten a sticker haha.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
It is just a bunch of restrictive crap that lessens the efficiency of the engine - i.e. reduced horsepower. Also a bunch of stuff that will deteriorate over time and cost a bunch of $ to replace.
That's why I'm glad I live in Mississippi and don't have to deal with that stuff. We don't even have emissions testing. To get your inspection done here, you flash your headlights, hit your brakes, turn on your blinkers, turn on your wipers, honk your horn, pay $5 and you get a sticker for a year. I could drive in there with no catalytic converters at all and they wouldn't care. The inspection stations are usually quick lube places. I just renewed mine last Saturday and they didn't even check the back of my car. I could have had no brake lights that time and still gotten a sticker haha.
Oh yeah, Mississippi sounds like a real safe place to drive! Remind me to stay away from there. Wait, why would I want to visit Mississippi anyways?