General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best way to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default What's the best way to fix this?

I had a collision today and was wondering how to fix this damage. Is it possible to fix this myself through small tools or should I go to an autobody shop? My car is a Honda Accord Coupe 2000.

Attached the pics to my post.

Attached Thumbnails What's the best way to fix this?-img_20120803_171026.jpg   What's the best way to fix this?-img_20120803_1710211.jpg  

Last edited by Legend; 08-03-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ahh, don't take this the wrong way.

First thing you need to do is remove the bumper - and maybe more - and find out what needs to be replaced.

There are brackets and that behind there, some you might be able to re-use, some not.

Then it would be nice to know the year....by the pic I'll guess a 98-02 Accord (6th gen).

Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

For the bumper, at the very least, it looks like you will need the bumper cover and bumper absorber. Like Poorman212 stated, remove the bumper cover to see the damage and what other parts may be needed. The bumper cover and bumper absorber are relatively easy to replace.

You can decide whether you want genuine Honda parts or aftermarket for your 2000 coupe. Even ebay carries aftermarket covers. Most are just primered, so you will still need to get it painted first.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

opps, guess I missed the year....my fault

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

@poorman212: No problem! I should've written that in the next line.

Thank you @poorman212 and @redbull-1. Two quick questions:

1. I saw some of my friends use a hair dryer to get this done. Is that possible in my case?
2. Do I need a bumper cover or what exactly do I need to buy that I can replace myself? I saw this bumper cover online but am not sure if this is what I need.

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

The bumper is way beyond a hot air fix.

At the very least you need the cover.

What you need to do is get the cover off and see what else is bent - that can't be fixed - or broken and have a complete list....like the metal bracket under the headlight....it didn't look good from the pic....plus the pass/right fender looks "bad"....the cover has been pulled/pished away. Plus it doesn't look like it "lines" up with the headlight.

Last edited by poorman212; 08-03-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

You probably can pop it back out; but, I feel the absorber and possibly other parts behind the cover may need to be replaced for safety reasons in case of any future collisions.

Accord bumper removal

Edit: Poorman212 is right on the cover, I just looked again.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Got it! Thank you both of you. I will see if I can open up the cover and check what's damaged and hopefully take some additional pictures.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok so today I did not open anything but tried looking inside for further damages. I don't know what the parts are called but I will try my best:
  • The metal rod under the bumper cover has bent slightly
  • Two brackets on the bumper cover are broken
  • The frame that holds the bumper cover to the car is slightly bent
  • The bumper itself is badly collapsed. It does not fit anymore

I went to an auto-body shop yesterday and was given a quote of $1200 to replace the headlight and the bumper. I told them there was nothing wrong with the headlight and I was given a new quote of $800. I don't know if this price is good or I am being ripped off or if there is any place in the Seattle area where I can get this done for something cheaper (no bumper replacement but make it less visible). Considering that my car currently has 172K+ miles on it, I am not sure what to do.

At this point, I am thinking of either getting it fixed or leaving it like that considering that the life on this car is not too much. If I decide to keep it, what is the most economic "cosmetic cover up"? I was looking at bumper bras/masks but am not sure if they will serve my purpose. Any suggestions on this or other ways of covering this up?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

The $800 doesn't sound too bad, of course I'm no expert on body repair.

Again, another option is to do it yourself. You car search junk yards (car-part dot com is a good place to start) for the parts needed. You might even find a cover in the same color.

Quick Reply: What's the best way to fix this?