General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with my door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Default Whats with my door locks?

Here is our issue....(Yes, it has PDL)

The drivers door can be unlocked with the key, but not locked with the key. Whats up with that?

I would love to be able to shut the door, then lock it with the key (which would then lock all the other doors).

Also, with the driver door open, you can't lock it either. You have to shut the front driver door then reach in the driver rear door, and push the lock down in order to lock it.

What's up there?

It's a little annoying....

ALso, Neither of our keys (one OE, one copy) won't open the trunk from outside. Either someone has changed the trunk lock or something is funky within it.....

Old 03-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Driver's door unlock is mechanical, while door locking (all doors) is electrical. If no door locks are thrown when you attempt to lock from driver's door, the electrical switch in the door lock, then check 1) fuse 27 in the underhood fuse box.

A complete diagnostic chart is available in Honda shop manual which you can download from Online Manuals underDIY forum.

Trunk lock could be a dirty lock w/ sticky tumbler or someone replaced trunk but didn't swap lock assys. Try spraying w/ WD40 and working the lock (push key in/out to exercise pins) to hopefully free the lock, or replace w/ new lock/key. Not really essential since you have inside trunk release.

good luck

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM

Thank you!

I can lock the doors by pushing down on the door lock ****, but I should also be able to lock the doors from the key cylinder as well, right?

The key cylinder in the drivers door doesn't even turn......It will turn to unlock, but not lock.

The trunk isn't highly critical at the moment, so it will get fixed later on.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 AM

It helps when you tell the whole story. The key lock assy in the driver's door is either defective or needs lube badly. Try spraying graphite lube and working the lock. Push key in/out and rotate to unlock. This may free the lock. Otherwise you'll need to replace the lock assy in the door,.. a pretty good job w/ difficult access.

good luck

Old 03-25-2009, 04:07 AM

I played with a little at work, no luck.....

I have also lubed the heck out of it with no luck. Looks like replacement is the only option.

The trunk lid may have been indeed been replaced at one time. It's not perfectly aligned with the body. It's not as critical as the door lock, so it can wait.

I have noticed the ignition lock cylinder is a bit finicky too..... Some wiggling usually gets it working.

I also found out the car had just under 8000 Miles put on it but Dec 2007 and March of this year, so it's been stored quite bit. That would explain a few things.....

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM

One final thought. Try to get a Honda OEM key made. They may be able to determine key code and cut a new key. Sometimes a worn key can cause problems.

good luck

Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
honda2
Unregistered
Default Lock

Honda has the safety in place while the key is in the ignitation that you ae not able to lock the door from the divers door. This keeps you from locking your keys in the car. I am having a problem with only one door which is a passenger door will not lock or unlock with the others. Started when I was locking the door as I was getting out one day and the person in the back seat was taking forever to get out. I guess as I was locking they were opening the door and now I have to manually lock and unlock this door.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:40 PM

I have a small update on the lock situation.

I found out both of our keys are not the OE keys, they are copies of the originals which are long since gone.

Also the drivers door lock will lock with the key, but only if played with for awhile first.

My other issue was pointed out by a friend out ours that owns a '92 Civic. The drivers door will not stay locked unless you lift the exterior handle while pressing the lock **** down. Other wise it will pop back up.....

lso pressing down the lock **** on the drivers side, locks all doors at once.

My wife pointed this out to me as I had always locked the doors by the lock switch. (not used to power locks. My Jeep is a simple beast)

Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Default Need HELP!

Hi, I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX. Just recently, the lock to lay down the backseat will not unlock. I have had no problems with this function and just all of a sudden, it won't unlock. Any ideas? Please advise. Thank you!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried to "lube" the lock cyl, do any of the "other" keys work, does the pull handle inside the trunk work, once down-check the movement of the latch-lube it as well.

Sorry to post more questions than answers but all of this and more could be the issue.

Quick Reply: Whats with my door locks?