General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When do Accords die?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM
RadRacer
Unregistered
Default When do Accords die?

Hi Everyone - This may be a pessimistic question, but I hear stories about accords with super high miles all the time and I was wondering when someone actually knows an accord is dead. Is it basically if you wreck it? I just spent about $900 on some repairs for mine and I was wondering when people draw the line. I'm not complaining, mostly because the car is paid for and $900 is only about two months of payments and insurance on a new ride, but is there a repair or situation where people throw up their hands and find another ride? FYI, mine had its radiator replaced (I suspect it was the OEM radiator, which would be 14 years and 160K miles) the front engine mount replaced (it was torn and I think my car had somewhat abusive former owners) the oil pressure switch replaced ($60...why not? the dealer said it needed it) and the oil pan gasket replaced (there were a few bad seals with the car, but aside from this one I had the others fixed when I replaced the timing belt about 2 years ago at 125K which is normal maintenance I'm told.) Aside from these repairs, the car has not needed much, but like I said, when is it smart to get a new ride? Do parts start to dry up at some point? Will the dealer eventually run out of people who know my generation of accord?

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: When do Accords die?

I would say when it cost more to fix the car then the car is worth, but if the car is like yours and 14 years old then that might not fall into place, because the car isnt worth all too much. I would say i would junk mine when either it crashed and costs alot to fix, or if something major went wrong with the engine EX pistons came out the top, or timing belt snapped, or ran it out of oil and the pistons forged to the block.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM

If a car is taken care of then it never 'dies'. Accords are very robust and can go long even with unattentive owners. Some get better with age. Mine is technically 15 years old, yet is in better condition and far outperforms his off the dealer lot condition. In the end it is personally up to you when you think enough is enough. It's the nature of the beast as a car get's older more has to be repaired or replaced, s parts never expected to wear out do, and this costs more money, and as less and less parts are made, the costs of them go up. Some people, myself included, would spend every penny we have to keep our cars going, they are members of the family. Your car is never going to get cheaper to run that's a fact, but when the costs of running it start to outwiegh your desire to spend the money, that's when the car 'dies'

Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are some compensations when the value of the car stablizes at $1000-$2000. You no longer have to worry about car thieves,...there's better pickings readily avialable. You don't have to pay collision insurance,...premiums in 3-4 years would pay for car. Those miles accumulated beyond this point, are very cheap miles. I have a 94ex w/ 210K miles that runs sweet, got 27 mpg on a tank of gas today (commuting rd trip), but looks a fright w/ a bad paint job. I may paint it just to avoid having to see it. I'm pretty happy w/ my Accord.

regards

Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

NEVER.

I wish...as Shadow said there's this threshold you have to cross in your decision whether to maintain and revitalize or throw away and start fresh. That may be a bittersweet moment for me because I plan on putting a lot of money and time into my car...which I call my "lifelong project"

Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

These guys all gave you pretty good advice. For me, I dont feel like my car will ever die. I love this car. I hope to have this thing completely built one day, 300 hp and able to carve corners like an AWD racer. Its all about when you feel that the time and effort of working on it outweigh the benefits of driving it.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:11 AM
Administrator

When I see a car I like much better is when they die for me...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM

Lol...

*imagines wheelbroker sees ferrari*
[wheelbroker has ditched accord]
*wheelbroker sees saleen s7*
[wheelbroker has ditched ferrari]

:P

Old 04-11-2007, 07:12 AM
4drex
Unregistered

I got my accord back in 2000. IBought it from my uncle who bought it brand new. It just turned over 350k and runs great.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Holy mother....a testiment of Honda ingenuity and strength of design.

Quick Reply: When do Accords die?