General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When does vtech engage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
blitz1029
Unregistered
Default When does vtech engage?

I just got my black2000 accord v6 2 door 134k miles. I got a check engine light on and i got it checked out...light is on because of my egr valve. I already tried to clean it and disconnected the battery. Still comes on with the same code for the egr valve. Would that cause my vtec not to function or maybe i'm just not noticing it? Also how do i reset the maintenance light?

I also raced my friends 99 v6 mustang and he beat me but not toobad. I will get a rematch assoon as i get my plugs changed and mycai put in.So far i love the car.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Default RE: When does vtech engage?

vtech never kicks in. vtec, on the otherhand, kicks in at random rpms. if you do a search there is a video that 00accord posted where a guy wired a light to show when vtec kicked in,yo.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 AM
blitz1029
Unregistered

Oh ok...So could i be losing any performance with the engine check light on?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

V6 is set to 4500 rpm but you really don't get the results until 5K. usually gotta be pretty deep in the throttle or high engine load.

Vtec will work with EGR however your gas milage will suck.

you want to clean the EGR? take intake off and clean it from there. Honda sells the kit to make the repairs to the egr system

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM

I know on a 4 cyl, vtec kicks in anywhere from around 2200 rpms to 4000 rpms. It is not as high as many people think. On a SOHC, you cannot hear it engage, and you will not feel it engage either. it seems to me it would be pointless if it engaged so high as so many people (including myself) never even get up to 4500 rpms. If that were the case, you would never hit vtrec in an automatic unless you manually shifted it.
I cannot speak for the V6, but I would be willing tobet it's about the same.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:35 PM

I have an 02 V6 and mine engages at 3500 everytime. When you put that CAI on there you'll be able to hear it loud and clear.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

banned for spelling it vtech.

but seriously, your most likely just not noticing it. Vtech goes off with oil pressure, not rpm. If you slam on the gas the oil pressure will build before the rpms get high and vtec will engage. If you slowly let the rpms climb it wont engage until later.

if you didnt get the banned joke, you need to spend more time in the off topic forum!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Well this might help you understand the system a little better;
There is no set RPM for Vtec engagement

[IMG]local://upfiles/5417/06B431AE1DB84AA1B3ADA6E9DD025FB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 PM

nice pic.

also, vtec doesn't engage faster with engine rpm. oil pressure is at the vtec solenoid all the time, even at idle. the pcm commands the solenoid open and allows oil pressure to the vtec pistons in the rocker arm assembly.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:27 AM

I am so glad that 2 Honda Tech's commented on the vtec "kick in" point. As they said and I said above: there is NO set RPM point whereVTEC engages. It all depends on the driving conditions. The figures I listed are from a video posted by a guy who added a "VTEC indicator light" on his car by tapping into the VTEC signal wire coming out of the ECU.
And again, you are not going to hear it kick in on an SOHC car. It is all in your head if you think you do.

Quick Reply: When does vtech engage?