General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THIS IS WHERE THEY ARE NOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 AM
Default THIS IS WHERE THEY ARE NOW

It happened today for the first time out of nowhere. I could still shift it into N and it engaged and I'm not sure it did when i put it on D3. When i shift to a different gear I get the light indicator ON in that gear, but with the D4 light still blinking. I'm at a total loss. I had the transmission replaced about 1 month ago, but it was in NC and I live in FL.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Johnene
It happened today for the first time out of nowhere. I could still shift it into N and it engaged and I'm not sure it did when i put it on D3. When i shift to a different gear I get the light indicator ON in that gear, but with the D4 light still blinking. I'm at a total loss. I had the transmission replaced about 1 month ago, but it was in NC and I live in FL.
You may want to check the code and see why its blinking.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:44 PM

What code?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

The error-code that's stored in the tranny controller. The auto-tranny uses that blinking light the same way the engine uses the 'check-engine' light. Look for instructions about checking engine error codes, & do the same procedure. You find a wiring plug & jumper it with a paperclip.

In your case, the D4 lamp will blink a code instead of (or along with) the check-engine light. Post back with the sequence of flashes.
Long flashes = 1st digit of code.
Short flases = 2nd digit of code.
Long pause
next error code
etc...

Old 06-07-2009, 10:21 PM
caliwizzy
Unregistered
Default same problem on 01 accord

I have the same problem - just today on the freeway I had a slight "chug", and the check engine light came on while the D4 light was flashing (at a rate of about 1 blink per second). When I got off the highway, I stopped at a red light. I noticed that as I began from a stop, it acted as if I was stuck in 4th drive. I was able to manually shift to 1st gear (I have an automatic), and could shift to 2nd, and can shift up to D3 and D4. I also noticed when I got home that when I shifted to Reverse, the car chugged considerably, but would comply.

I checked the transmission fluid - I got plenty. Oil - may be low there, but should that affect the transmission as so?

Just got the transmission replaced 1000 miles ago, so that's obviously suspect #1. Does anyone know what else might be going on?

2001 Honda Accord, 2 dr coupe
4 cyl, ULEV

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Default 01 accord coupe w/ the same problem--engine light + blinking D4

Just wondering what did you find out about the problem and if it was an easy fix?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by caliwizzy
I have the same problem - just today on the freeway I had a slight "chug", and the check engine light came on while the D4 light was flashing (at a rate of about 1 blink per second). When I got off the highway, I stopped at a red light. I noticed that as I began from a stop, it acted as if I was stuck in 4th drive. I was able to manually shift to 1st gear (I have an automatic), and could shift to 2nd, and can shift up to D3 and D4. I also noticed when I got home that when I shifted to Reverse, the car chugged considerably, but would comply.

I checked the transmission fluid - I got plenty. Oil - may be low there, but should that affect the transmission as so?

Just got the transmission replaced 1000 miles ago, so that's obviously suspect #1. Does anyone know what else might be going on?

2001 Honda Accord, 2 dr coupe
4 cyl, ULEV

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Supper Moderator

helps if you search around a bit

read-
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=37019