General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining noise in engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 02:40 PM
cgarcia275
Unregistered
Default Whining noise in engine

My '99 Accord has started making a whining noise on the passenger side of the engine compartment. The pitch gets higher as I rev the engine. The mileage is at 81K so I ruled out a timing belt. Here's the clincher and this may just be coincidence but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. My SRS indicator light is starting to flash now as well. Could there be a link between the 2 problems? The light blinks (sporadically...no set rate) in the morning and when I hit the accelerator (when the engine is still cool). As the engine heats up the light problem seems to not flicker as much and doesn't stay on as long. Any suggestions out there?

Old 03-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Whining noise in engine

if i were you, i would closely inspect the accessory drive belts.

Old 03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
cgarcia275
Unregistered

I thought the engine had a serpentine belt that ran everything?

Old 03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
04ACCORDLX
Unregistered

Its is probably the alternator. I work at an automotive shop that works on a lot of Hondas. This seems to be a common occurance. When the alternator goes bad it can cause strange electrical problems and cause lights to come on.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:57 PM

I had this problem with my old nissna 95 240sx SE. It was a deep but loud whine... I could never figure out what it was. I think it had something to do with my water pump... get that checked while you are at it.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:43 PM
cgarcia275
Unregistered

Well, to add to the problem now.....Now when I gun the engine while I'm on the road ALL my dummy lights flicker!! WHOA!! Talk about letting off the gas in a hurry. Anyone run into this problem??

Another thing to consider....if I'm at a standstill and hit my door locks you can hear the whining sound drop a bit. Almost like the RPM's drop or something (although it doesn't). Sounds like the alternator issue presented earlier in the posts may be the problem. Just don't know why there would be a whining sound. Even if the bearings are bad on the alternator I would think it would still charge, right?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

i would think that it is a serpentine issue...

Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 PM

.....either your alrtenator or the ecu in your car. Better get it checked.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
MIAH
Unregistered

I AGREE WITH REMY--HAVE THE WATERPUMP CHECKED--IF BEARINGS ARE GOING BAD, THEY CAN MAKE ALOT OF NOISE

Old 03-31-2005, 05:05 PM
Administrator

You said it was on the right side of the car is where the noise was coming from>>>You dont happen to have a wife riding on that side who gets louder when the radio is turned up , do you???

All kidding aside (sure)...is the noise in the radio speakers also? and yes I agree that you should take the alternator to a parts store to have it checked ( ie: Advance, AutoZone, etc
And by the way...how about that wife in the right seat ?[sm=bicker.gif]

WheelBrokerAng

Quick Reply: Whining noise in engine