General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

why does my engine cooling fan turn on with a/c and not my condenser fan?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Unhappy why does my engine cooling fan turn on with a/c and not my condenser fan?

Im ahving a problem with my 97 honda accord, when you turn the car on and turn on the a/c the cooling fan turns on but the condenser fan doesn't, plus when the car is at a stand still and idling it starts to overheat, i changed the thermostat sensor plus its a 35k motor that i just swapped in the car, please guys help me on this one! i dont know if its the condensor fan thats bad or wiring that i have to check even though the wiring was never touched but never worked, but since the a/c always worked i never really looked at it until it started giving me problems, thanks.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Put 12v directly to the condensor fan motor, does it run...if not, the motor is bad. If it does spin, there are more tests.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 PM

yeah ima have to do that, but the motor overheats too and it doesnt seem to turn on when the motor gets hot and the radiator fan is new

Old 08-24-2011, 09:37 AM

yesterday, the mechanic replaced the electric fan motor. Previously, when I stopped the car the fan still running, but this new one is not doing it. Besides charging me $170.00, l think they even replace it with a refurbish one! Can somebody help me. I am an old lady that I think I was rip off by the mechanic.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Default Help with electric fan motor!

Originally Posted by elvitat
yesterday, the mechanic replaced the electric fan motor. Previously, when I stopped the car the fan still running, but this new one is not doing it. Besides charging me $170.00, l think they even replace it with a refurbish one! Can somebody help me. I am an old lady that I think I was rip off by the mechanic.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Elvitat; exactly what car do you have?? What I'm writing here applies to 1997 like the original thread.

Both fans are supposed to come on with the AC.
Both fans are supposed to come on when the temperature gauge gets a bit over 50%.

Only one fan runs after you turn off the engine, and only if the temperature is hot enough to need it. It's not real unusual for it to NOT run after. Maybe it used to do that because with the old motor it was getting hot?

So is it working like that now?

The fan running after you switch off the engine, is controlled by a switch in the nozzle of the upper radiator hose. You can check this out like this...
1) Unplug the 2-wire plug from that switch (upper radiator hose).
2) Run the engine - it's not necessary to actually let it get HOT.
3) Turn off the engine & do step #4 within 5 minutes or so.
4) Use a paperclip or piece of wire to connect between the 2 wires in that plug.
5) Step #4 should make one fan run - leave it running.
6) After about 20 minutes it should turn itself off even with the paperclip in place.
7) Remove the paperclip, plug it back in, DONE.

Last edited by JimBlake; 08-24-2011 at 09:55 AM.