General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my car pinging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Default Why is my car pinging?

Ok, at first I didn't think my Honda was pinging because I thought newer cars don't really do that cause the timing is computer controlled, but now that I've been really paying attention, I am almost 100% sure it's pinging. I run 87 octane and i haven't tried running anything else because i shouldn't have to. I just don't get why it would be pinging cause it shouldn't be. It does seem to be consistant. Any suggestions?

Last edited by HighwayStar; 03-21-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

What year and engine are we talking about here?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I'll guess the 97 2.2......the 6.6 TA would be another thing.

It isn't adjustable but I'd at least put a timing light to it and see what the timing is set at - note to jump the computer so you get a good reading.

Do you hear this all the time or only once the car is at normal op temp.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:15 PM

Yes it's the Honda lol. Yes I know it's not adjustable so how could it be set different? Maybe the parts are not original. I suppose that might explain it. I just bought the car last summer so I guess I don't know for sure, but it seems original. Maybe I'll try running some higher octane fuel in it and see if it goes away, but it's a normal car. Why should I have to do this?

Last edited by HighwayStar; 03-22-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've never heard any of my Accord 4-cyls ping. Pinging usually occurs under moderate to heavy load w/ fully warmed engine. It's a rattling/clatter sound that occurs briefly or can be sustained under constant heavy load.

If you're sure it's pinging, then:

1) Suggest checking base timing is set to 15 BTDC.

2) I had pinging on Chev Suburban that was caused by excess EGR flow. Suggest disabling EGR flow (remove/plug EGR vacuum actuation supply). If this cures pinging, then new EGR vacuum solenoid may be indicated.

good luck

Old 03-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Thanks! so if the egr isn't workin right it causes the computer advance the timing? I actually just had the egr off and cleaned it up and put it back on, but it was doing it before and I just thought it was a noisey motor, never really considered ping, but now I know it's ping.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Excess EGR flow can apparently cause pinging. It has no effect on timing to my knowledge.

good luck

Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Excess EGR flow can apparently cause pinging. It has no effect on timing to my knowledge.

good luck
Not saying you're incorrect on that point, but I am having a difficult time wrapping my brain around that concept (admittedly I've never given much thought to EGR). The thing is, exhaust is an inert gas which effectively dilutes the intake charge and makes it less volatile; if anything, I would think insufficient EGR flow would be more inclined to cause pinging rather than excess flow.

Stepping back for a moment and trying to have a look-see at the bigger picture, if the issue really is light to moderate detonation (pinging), and if a higher octane fuel didn't make any difference, then my guess is there is a damaged spark plug, incorrect spark plugs, or other hot point in one or more of the combustion chambers causing small pockets of end gas to combust before the flame front reaches said pockets.

It might be time to have a borescope done on the engine to develop a good picture of the condition of the combustion chambers.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Wouldn't egr throw a code? I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around it being the egr, but stranger things have happened. It could have the wrong plugs. I checked them and they're in good shape, but I didn't verify they are the right ones. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check the timing, but I don't know how I would adjust it if it's off.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 95Accord2.7L
Wouldn't egr throw a code? I'm also having a hard time wrapping my head around it being the egr, but stranger things have happened. It could have the wrong plugs. I checked them and they're in good shape, but I didn't verify they are the right ones. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check the timing, but I don't know how I would adjust it if it's off.
If the plugs are too long, then they could easily be responsible for detonation; I'd start with the easy things first, and checking to see if the plugs are correct is about as easy as it gets.

Quick Reply: Why is my car pinging?