General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't dealer install sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Kurt1129
Unregistered
Default Why won't dealer install sunroof?

Is the local Honda Dealer giving me good info?

My car is a 2001 Accord LX with 2.2L 5 speed. It has AC, but I wish it had a sunroof.

The dealer said it would be unsafe to add a sunroof. Is this for real?

The Mopar dealer added a sunroof to my '87 Daytona! Was that dealer trying to kill me? (That motor died first! I won.)

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 AM
supernaut
Unregistered
Default RE: Why won't dealer install sunroof?

I'm pretty sure Honda can put them in, but if they're added aftermarket by somebody else, Honda cannot re-sell that car certified. I'm pretty sure this is what a friend told me when I bought my car from him at the Honda dealer.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

the dealer also wont do anything that they dont have a writeup how to do.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 AM

Also I have never seen an aftermarket sunroof that does not leak. Just a heads up

Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Xv7vX

Also I have never seen an aftermarket sunroof that does not leak. Just a heads up
Yeah same here. I wouldnt get it.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Kurt1129

Is the local Honda Dealer giving me good info?

My car is a 2001 Accord LX with 2.2L 5 speed. It has AC, but I wish it had a sunroof.

The dealer said it would be unsafe to add a sunroof. Is this for real?

The Mopar dealer added a sunroof to my '87 Daytona! Was that dealer trying to kill me? (That motor died first! I won.)
When you add a sunroof to a car you cut out a section of the the roof, this means that the car has more body flex in hard cornering, is it deadly? I think not but it isn't as structurally sound as if it was solid. It's like breaking a piece of wood with a bunch of holes in it vs. breaking a solid piece, which is stronger?

As for leaking, if installed improperly with poor parts it sure can leak, even some factory ones will leak, but a good reputable shop with high quality stuff should be just fine. I've seen it done multiple times

Old 02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Kurt1129
Unregistered

Thanks for the comments.

I feel better about asking an outside shopabout a sunroof. I'll do my due diligence and check out their previous work before lettinganyone cut metal. I was thinking theremight bea structural beam up there, but I realizeit's a Honda, not a SAAB.

I was fortunate with the '87 Mopar. The car had its issues, but the non-factory sunroof never did leak. Come to think of it, I didn't have to worry about tight cornering with that dog either.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Kurt1129
I but I realizeit's a Honda, not a SAAB.
i know you didnt just say saab is better than honda..................why do you think saab stopped making planes? CAUSE THEY ALL CRASHED CAUSE SAABS ARE POSs.

sorry i just hate saabs, but seriously you are free to say nissan, toyota, maybe even subaru are better than honda, but never saab

Old 02-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

IT WILL LEAK

The dealer doesn't want the headache of you showing up in the service drive everytime it rains.

Look at an EX model with the sunroof open and take careful note of the run/drain channels, also the factory model has drains going to all 4 corners of the car.

As stated earlier " I've NEVER seen an aftermarket sunroof that didn't leak"

Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 PM

sorry i just hate saabs, but seriously you are free to say nissan, toyota, maybe even subaru are better than honda, but never saab
Talking reliability wise the onlyone with a shot is Toyota, and I think they're just a close second.

And about the sunroof, it will not seem so great after you get use to it, but it is your car.

Quick Reply: Why won't dealer install sunroof?