General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd smell....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:51 PM
skinwalker
Unregistered
Default Wierd smell....

Hey guys, I have a 05 Accord EXL V6. About a week ago i noticed a bad smell come form the air vents when i started the car after it sitting all night. Now everytime i start the car i get that same smell for a couple seconds then its gone. Only seems to happen when the car has sat for awhile. My wife says it smells like a dead rat/mouse. Buddy of my said a Honda Tech told him they can get in the Blower motor. Any ideas how to rid me of this smell? Anything i can do without taking it to the dealer? Thanks

Scott

Old 10-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Default RE: Wierd smell....

When was the air conditioning filter changed last? Mine was filthy @ 15,000 miles.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A dead mouse will usually dry up and quit stinking after a couple weeks.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

A dead mouse will usually dry up and quit stinking after a couple weeks.
No it won't,,,,,,,,also usually if a pac rat ( mouse) gets in there , they bring food and other stuff to make it their home, urinate and poop , On 1 occasion it was so bad i had to replace the evaporator , i cleaned it 2 times and smell still could not get away ..
i have seen and cleaned literally a CRAP load of them, here in Arizona it is a big problem

skin, remove the a/c filters, real easy to do, our DIY section there is a post on it ,,if any indications of a mouse being there, remove the blower motor .. if still reeks you might have to remove the evap and clean it with soap and water and spray it with some fridgy fresh or lysol

Old 10-13-2006, 03:09 PM

ok note to self stay away from arizona due to rodent infestation in engine compartment lol anyone else have a problem with infestations in their cars? out of all the cars Ive had I can honestly say thats not been a problem.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:32 PM

My grandfather used to go to AZ to buy cars from that auction and on more than one occasion fricken rabbits chewed through his wiring... they like purple wires as he found out... *L* yeah in some places that is a big issue, that's why up here when people go camping a lot of times they will pop their hood open when they park their trucks so that it lets in light and keeps out the rodents

Old 10-14-2006, 01:31 PM

thats crazy, the most we gotta worry about here in SC is running over opossums because those things will rip out underpinning if they are big enough, and deer, Ive totaled 2 cars hitting deer lol.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Deer *cringe* I live up in North Western Montana we get a TON of deer running accross our roads along with big horn sheep and elk in places.... Almost hit a moose in Canada once and the thing was bigger than a fricken horse... Deer scare the poop outta me, I've tagged one really good and nearly hit 2 dozen more.... Those big ol' mountain bread deer will crush a front end faster than another car....

Old 10-14-2006, 05:50 PM

In Maine, I almost hit a moose on my mountain bike, yeah, I pooped a little.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Hey drummer 1279..
You hit 2 deer ! but I bet you ate good for a few months after that...didn't you? [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Wierd smell....