General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wife put e85 into my 2007 Accord - what do I do?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:24 PM
wjbrown2008
Unregistered
Default Wife put e85 into my 2007 Accord - what do I do?

Hi my wife placed e85 into my 2007 Accord. She was doing me a favor; my tank was 1/4 full. I took it to my local Honda dealer today, but they can't service it until Sunday. They quoted me $585 to flush the tank, flush the fuel lines, etc., replace the tank of gas.

Do I need to worry that much about it? It's been driven maybe 3 miles from the gas station to the dealer.

Is this the right approach? When she realized what she did, gas station attendant said "don't worry about it just don't do it again". Will one tank of e85 burn my lines, rings, valves, etc?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Default RE: Wife put e85 into my 2007 Accord - what do I do?

Know anyone with a flex fuel vehicle? Offer them a free tank of fuel (yours) via a siphon. Go fill yours up with gasoline immediately after. I sure wouldn't pay the dealer that outrageous price.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

I am not sure what it will do. The car will probably run poorly.

You could detach the return hose that goes from the fuel rail to the gas tank. Then you would have to jumper the main fuel relay and allow the fuel pump to pump out all of the e85 through the return hose into a bucket. Fill the gas tank up with regular unleaded (none of the 10% ethanol gas) then all should be well. Always use caution around fuel, because it is easily flammable.

If a dealership would do this (instead of removing the fuel tank), the bill should be a lot lower. You might want to call some independent mechanics to find out what they would charge to do this.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:16 PM

The only thing to look out for would be that your check engine light may come on and give you a code for LEAN BURN. Dont worry about it, after you use up your gas in the next few days just fill up with regular and you will be fine. Also since it is summer you will not have to worry about cold starting, alcohol has a lower burning temp. So if you did this in northeast winter it would be resonable to syphon. but its summer so enjoy your gas

To convert your car to e85 or e100 you need bigger injectors and steel braided fuel lines.

I know this because my accord runs on e100 or pure alcohol. Dont worry about it.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There may be possibility of some damage to soft parts (gaskets and orings) due to ethanol. Also corrosion might be possible, but should be fine w/ a new tank of pure gas.

I would elevate the rear end on jack stands and drain the fuel tank. My 94EX has a accessible threaded drain plug in the bottom of the tank. Hopefully yours does also. This will drain all fuel in the tank. Reinstall drain plug and refill w/ 3-4 gallons and head for the pumps. I would not pump the fuel w/ the fuel pump through the injector rail as this exposes soft parts further.

good luck

Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 PM

I would siphon it out

Old 08-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: brayner

I would siphon it out
Is it possible to siphon? I haven't siphoned in decades, and I thought modern cars had an anti-siphon restriction?

good luck

Old 08-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Texas Honda:

You are correct in this statement, new cars cannot be "syphoned" Either by pump or by hand. The EPA put in restrictions to stop pressure build up that eliminate all possibilities of this. When i first read this I did not take into account the year, any vehicle after 91 has the EPA regulatory gas tank.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Lots of infoormation for this member to read, but what is he to really do to remedy the problem....almost sounds like a take a vote as to who's right about the delima...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Beginning in 2003 the fuel system is non-return, so the FPR & return line are both INSIDE the fuel tank. So you cant pump it out via the return hose. You may be able to use the fuel SUPPLY hose, if you find a convenient place to disconnect it.

I think theres a drain plug in the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wife put e85 into my 2007 Accord - what do I do?