General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

window motor or regulator or ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question window motor or regulator or ??

sometime last spring every window in my '97 honda accord 4-door stopped working except for the driver's window. mechanic said it'd cost me $84 just to take off the driver's side door panel to look at it but suggested i go to a local parts garden (junkyard) where they tell me the help would find the part i needed, take off the panel and replace the part and if it worked, i'd pay. if it didn't, i wouldn't. anybody know what the name or part number might be for the motor or switch that's burnt-out?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Problem suggests a fault in the main switch or main switch ground path. Check car-part.com for a replacement master switch panel (main is one switch on master panel). I found them for as little as $15 on car-part.com.

Are you aware main switch disables all power windows except driver's? I assumed so, but just wanted to check.

good luck

Old 07-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Problem suggests a fault in the main switch or main switch ground path. Check car-part.com for a replacement master switch panel (main is one switch on master panel). I found them for as little as $15 on car-part.com.

Are you aware main switch disables all power windows except driver's? I assumed so, but just wanted to check.

good luck
i was not aware of much but your answer seems on target. thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

went to car-parts.com, cheapest i could find (without calling for a price) was $75 for something referred to as "4DR MAIN GRN G" or "MAIN,LX 4DR 4CYL,gry-B." then there was "New in box---4-dr master switch" for a few dollars more. something else referred to as "94-97 New 4dr Mstr 1240410" for another few dollars. for $10 more there was "641.HO1J97,DRIVERS SIDE MASTER SWITCH,4DR,94-97" or "NEW,L-MASTER,93-97 4DR,5-11." at this point, the sweat a'rollin off me at each and every stop-lite (a/c's out, too), $75-85 is not out of the question. any of these be what you referred to?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Search for your car, "power window switch" and go to * page for lowest cost.

good luck

Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Pretty sure it is the switch, a volt meter will help to confirim. A few tests of the old one and you can be sure.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 AM

did you hit the child safety switch directly in front of the frt door switches. I think they control all the windows except the drivers window. check it with a meter if its bad you might be able to jump it off.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM

first 84 dollars to remove two screws a door lock clip and disconnect some plugs is a 5 minute job. also by taking the door panel off all you will find is a working window regulator and the door lock module
like poorman said . the master switch can be removed with one screw and push back to remove the switch assembly. you dont have to take the door panel off. at least not at this point

Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

mechanic said it'd cost me $84 just to take off the driver's side door panel to look at it
Yeeeaaaahhh...you might want to do it yourself like the mechanic said and put the money towards the part you need. I did it for the first time a month or two ago to fix a stuck window and I had to do even more like taking the regulator and window off. Now I can do it in my sleep. Definitely not rocket scientist material. Watch this video to learn how to remove the panel.

‪1AAuto.com Install Remove Door Panel Trim Honda Accord 1994-97 Front‬‏ - YouTube

Note that he removes the control panel with all of the window switches on it from the door before removing the door panel. In my case I could not get it removed it just wouldn't budge without the feeling that it would break in half. If this is the case you can just leave it in the door panel and skip this step but after you remove the door panel when you're unplugging the courtesy light you'll also have to unplug the control panel harness/plug at this time. If you just pull the panel away from the door without doing so you'll rip the wires right out. When you're unplugging the courtesy light you'll notice this, this can't be missed.

Last edited by MessAround; 07-31-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default child-safety

Originally Posted by hobieslug45
did you hit the child safety switch directly in front of the frt door switches. I think they control all the windows except the drivers window. check it with a meter if its bad you might be able to jump it off.
i suppose that's possible tho even if the child-control was on, i should still be able to raise or lower those windows myself vs the occupants. it's moot now as i've bit the bullet and purchased the parts to replace most if not all of it. still, next time i get in, i'll check it. i could just return the parts. wishfully thinking i am, i suspect.

Quick Reply: window motor or regulator or ??