General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Crack

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Default Windshield Crack

I had a minor crack on my window about 1 cm in diameter for about 5 months already. I went to the mechanic saturday to get a timing belt change, and when I returned to pick up my car, there was a 6 inch L shape crack on the mid lower portion intersecting the previous crack.I was told to leavemy window openslightly especially on hot days so that there is air circulation and that would help slow down the cracking.However,when I went to school today, I came back to my car and the crack changed directions and went up about2-3 more inches! I leftabout.5 aninchgapfrom all windows and still itscracking extremely fast. Whatcan I do to slow it since Iwas told Ineeded to buy a new windshield?

Are there anysealants I can put? or melt the glass with a torch hoping it would stick together again xD j/k... I dont know but I can't afford to buy a new windshield yet. I just burned over 600 repairing my car.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Secretspot
Unregistered
Default RE: Windshield Crack

There are kits to fix your problem.In my area I know that Walmart carry's windshield crack fix.The item is usually located in the automotive section near thewindshield wipers or glass cleaners. Any automotive parts store shouldcarry a product to fix acrack in auto glass.It's a syringe with suction cup and aliquid is injected into the crack in the windshield, it seals the flaw and hopefully that will fix your problem. I have also seen some people use clear packing tape to hold the glass from seperating more.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think packing tape will work.
Those kits with sealant work better BEFORE your chip grew into a crack.

Where do you live & what kind of insurance do you have? Here (in Ohio) if you have comprehensive insurance, they're required to cover windshields for free (no deductible). If you live somewhere else, it'sa good question for your insurance agent.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think it might be too late for a fix. once the crack gets that large it will probably keep getting larger. Sealant or tape might slow it down a little bit. It happened to me and the whole winshield ended up splitting. But if the crack is in the driver's line of sight you might have trouble passing the next safety inspection depending on which state you live in. I replaced mine for I think $75 with a windshield from a junkyard, but that was my old car.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Once the crack gets that big there is no fixing it. I know casue my dad used to repair windshields when I was a kid (before that business got so main-stream).
Insurance: Here in Mississippi I know a replacement windshield will not be replaced without you paying your deductible on the vast majority of insurance policies. Insurance companies waive the deductible for a rock peck repair, but not a full windshield replacement. Call your insurance agent and ask them about it, if they do not know the answer, you need to look for a new agent.
Call local glass shops and look for a used glass. You do not need a brand new one. A glass is a glass, used or not. You should be able to get it done for around $150 MAX.
If you report it to your insurance company, even if the repairs are less than the deductible, they will still likely get the cheapest price for you(insurance companies know how to get discounts)- unless you have State Farm

Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

just replace it. you cant put a price on the safety it provides.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM

Plus a cop will give you a ticket for it if the crack is obstructing your vision in any way. Or they will at least have a reason to pull you over and try to find something to give you a ticket for.
I've seen them pull people over for it in Mississippi - and Mississippi is one of the most lax states when it comes to vehicle inspections.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:10 AM

yeah ..... I hear that in MS you can pass with your @$$ hanging out ..... LOL

Old 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM

with the furry crack.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: HondaAccordNewb
I dont know but I can't afford to buy a new windshield yet. I just burned over 600 repairing my car.
I can relate to not having the money or wanting to spend it, but like the others said, there's no way around it.

As far as getting it fixed, windshields are one area where I wouldn't skimp. They're an integral part in the stiffness of the body structure. If you have one put in and it's not sealed/installed properly, you're opening yourself and your passengers up to greater danger in the case of an accident, especially if it's a rollover. If the windshield pops out, the roof squashes a whole lot easier. The strength of the A-pillar has a lot to do with the windshield being in place.

Just my 2ยข.....

Quick Reply: Windshield Crack