General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Hose Routing 93 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Default Windshield Washer Hose Routing 93 Accord

I was told the windshield washer did not work on this car. So while I had the hood open doing some other things, I tried it. It worked.

But it does not work with the hood closed. The reason is that the hose is being pinched against the rubber weatherstripping along the cowl. I noticed that someone had secured the tubing to the hood in that location with a zip tie, so I believe the correct retainer is missing.

Would one of you guys be willing to snap a photo of the washer hose routing under the hood? Or is there a diagram available? The area I'm concerned with is on the driver's side where the hose enters near the left hinge.

If I can't determine what the factory configuration is, I plan to slip the rubber tubing thru some steel fuel line in that section as a repair. But I'd prefer to do it correctly.

Thank you if you can help!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

when I owned my '93 the exact same thing happened. My '92 isn't available right now for a photo.

Here's the fix it now that I did on the '93 - duct tape applied to a wiped down (cleaned) underneath part of hood in that area.
One trial and error and done. Just get location so washer tubing isn't squeezed by the rubber weatherstripping.
When hood was closed all was invisible so nobody knew.

Last edited by UhOh; 05-19-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh
Here's the fix it now that I did on the '93 - duct tape
The handyman's secret weapon!

Great minds think alike. I thought the same thing, but for some reason I was unable to position it so it wouldn't get pinched elsewhere. The car isn't here, but I'll look at it again the next chance I get.

BTW if I go this route, do I need to use HONDA duct tape from the dealer?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

This is the tube routing for my '92 EX.

I don't know if it was this clean for the '93, memory says not. luck

Name:  May222013016.jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  206.8 KB

Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Thanks UhOh for that photo.

Below is my 93. It's very apparent what is missing. I may have the car tomorrow. If I do, I'll attempt my remedy.

Thanks again.

Name:  honda_washer_zpse43770ea.jpg
Views: 3196
Size:  199.0 KB

Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Here is my fix. I bent a piece of steel line and slipped the rubber hose thru it. Figured there's no way it can get crimped now, right?

So I close the hood - and it still doesn't work! On closer inspection I found that the problem is at the hinge where the washer line transitions from the cowel to the hood.

There's an accordion-like section of the line there. What's happening is that accordion piece is collapsing on itself when the hood is closed, thus crimping off any flow. For some reason the little elbow fitting (arrow in photo) is not rotating as the hood closes - forcing the rubber to bend and collapse.

Problem is I can't figure out how to remedy this. I've lubricated it with silicone and worked up and down, but no help. For now I'm reaching in with my hand and pulling the line down - while holding the hood open slightly. Then all is well. Until the next time the hood is opened for any reason.

Uh-oh do you (or anyone) have any thoughts here?

Name:  honda_washer_2_zps9a93a12a.jpg
Views: 2492
Size:  182.1 KB

Last edited by scoostraw; 05-29-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Me, I'm guessing the line is broke there.

With the hood up, spary the wipers and see if fluid os coming from that section. If so, remove that boot and address the hose.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Hey poorman -

I see what you're saying. Good thought. I will check it.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM

Checked it today. No leaks.

Then I thought maybe the "accordion" was weakened from age and just folded in half because of that. But it seems very solid and robust.

I don't have another Accord to compare it to, but I wish I did. I'm thinking of slipping regular rubber tubing inside that thing to maybe stiffen it up? Or use some kind of rigid tubing.

I dunno. Stupid little problem, but it's not obvious to me what is really wrong with this thing.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

This setup has been used for years. I have a 3rd gen in the driveway right now where I had to use a piece of vac line to make a "splice" connection at the same point where your leak is. That vinyl hose gets hard over time, then as you open/close the hood it doesn't want to bend anymore and it breaks/splits at that pivot point.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Hose Routing 93 Accord