General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

windshield washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Default windshield washer pump

My '92 Accord windshield washer pump needs replacing, I think. So I was looking in my "Haynes" manual for the vehicle and it says to gain access to the reservoir I need to "either remove the front bumper or engine under cover". So I wonder what they mean by the "engine under cover"? Just that big long plastic shroud thing that is installed all along underneath the front bumper area?

Also, I was wondering if it'll be actually necessary to remove the whole fricken front bumper just to get that reservoir out to replace the pump, or maybe (hopefully) I can just remove that fricken shroud and that'll give me enough access to remove that washer tank?

Any comments appreciated.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure where the pump motor is installed on the washer fluid reservoir.

You may be able to remove the splash shield for the wheel well to access the pump for the windshield washer.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 PM

Indeed I can access the pump by simply loosening and pulling back the wheel well splash shield, as shown in the photos I decided to take and share here of the situation. No need to remove the whole fricken bumper or any "engine under cover" or take the reservoir out like that (fricken) manual described. Thanks PA.

Attached Thumbnails windshield washer pump-img_3578_zps5sw2pz5k.jpg   windshield washer pump-img_3579_zpsneib7e1g.jpg   windshield washer pump-img_3580_zpsvkl52hd0.jpg  
Old 05-29-2016, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Nice . Did it turn out the washer motor was bad, you didn't seem too sure in your first post?

I'll guess things have been going well as I haven't seen you post in a while.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Well poorman I'm proceeding on my assumption that it's bad. When I switch it on I not only get no fluid to squirt but also cannot hear the pump motor trying to work at all. I looked at the fuse for it and it's fine.

Also, I'd almost forgotten that I had another handy source of info other than that crappy Haynes manual, a CD with a bunch of 4th Gen Accord service info that somebody had sent me in the past. I just took a look at that and it describes to remove the "left inner fender" and also describes a method to test the pump motor -- to "connect battery power to the positive terminal and ground the negative terminal" (screenshot below):

I haven't tested the pump motor as I suppose I could if I was really clear on how to how to go about it as it describes. I also notice that description also mentions a headlight washer too which my Accord did not come equipped with; mine just has a wiper washer, but actually located on the reservoir where the drawing shows the headlight washer pump motor.

So anyway so far I've removed the washer pump and found a cheap replacement on Ebay for ten bucks. That's on its way. Once I get it and slap it in and whether I get squirting then we should know if I assumed correctly or if I wasted ten bucks.

Attached Thumbnails windshield washer pump-screenshot%2520from%25202016-05-29%2520072758_zpslyofchli.png  

Last edited by sgull; 05-29-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well if the pump is out, simply put power and ground from the battery to the terminals and see if it runs.

You could dip the inlet into a bowl of water and see if fluid "squirts" out of the outlet or simply feel it "hum".

Also with a volt meter, when someone is "pressing/pulling" (can't remember how it works) are you getting power and ground to the wires.

Yea, that crappy manual - did I sent that? - cover the Euro models so it has things like headlight washers and "self leveling" headlights that we never saw in North America.

Good luck either way and I hope it all works out

Old 05-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Okay well I don't happen to have a couple of test lead/wires to power/ground from the battery to the terminals and all that. Plus, getting a bowl of water and all that sounds like too much trouble.
Maybe if once I get the new pump motor installed and I still get nothing I'll try to do further real troubleshooting before any more further assuming and just throwing more new parts at it, like a switch or whatever.
Actually yeah you did send me the service info on the CD and thanks again for that; it's usually much better than the Haynes manual. That Haynes manual is better than nothing, but not much really.
Let's keep our fingers crossed the new pump will just work and no further troubleshooting will be necessary. Troubleshooting... just too much trouble sometimes.
Will keep ya posted.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Fingers crossed

Old 06-05-2016, 06:57 PM

Update:
Yippeee! Finger crossing works every time (or at least this time anyway).

http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums...ps1zbnk8o4.mp4

Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, I'd call that one done.

Might just be me and the sound on my PC but are the wipers "kind of thumping" when they go to the bottom?

Either way, that one is marked off the list

Quick Reply: windshield washer pump