General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth Repairing? - '94 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Default Worth Repairing? - '94 Accord LX

I had a safety inspection done on my car recently while getting the oil changed, and the mechanic noted the following problems:

- Front axle shaft needs to be replaced
- Both rear control arms need replacing asap
- oil pressure sensor is shot

Given how this car wasn't maintained well (if at all) by the previous owner, I'm guessing that the timing belt also needs replacement (odometer:210k). Not to mention the muffler is in pretty bad shape.

All in all, these repairs are going to burn a $1200 hole in my wallet, and that doesn't even include any servicing on the brakes, changing the tires soon etc.

I'm wondering if you guys think this is a worthwhile investment? I need this car as my daily commuter, and I'm hoping that these big ticket items will be a one-off expense. That said, I do plan to drive this car into the ground, seeing how it's at the end of its lifespan, although I will need her to hold out for at least 2-3 years (about 30k miles).

Any thoughts?

1994 Honda Accord Sedan LX
Manual Transmission
4-cyl, non-VTEC

Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cukaracha
I had a safety inspection done on my car recently while getting the oil changed, and the mechanic noted the following problems:

- Front axle shaft needs to be replaced
- Both rear control arms need replacing asap
- oil pressure sensor is shot

Given how this car wasn't maintained well (if at all) by the previous owner, I'm guessing that the timing belt also needs replacement (odometer:210k). Not to mention the muffler is in pretty bad shape.

All in all, these repairs are going to burn a $1200 hole in my wallet, and that doesn't even include any servicing on the brakes, changing the tires soon etc.

I'm wondering if you guys think this is a worthwhile investment? I need this car as my daily commuter, and I'm hoping that these big ticket items will be a one-off expense. That said, I do plan to drive this car into the ground, seeing how it's at the end of its lifespan, although I will need her to hold out for at least 2-3 years (about 30k miles).

Any thoughts?

1994 Honda Accord Sedan LX
Manual Transmission
4-cyl, non-VTEC
Here is a simple test...

Add up the value of all of the "To-Do" maintenance items including brakes, tires, and Timing Belt. If you can buy a nicer/more reliable car for less than what it would take to fix your current ride, then it makes more financial sense to buy a new(er) car.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'd go for it - Some of the noted items you might be able to do yourself and save a bit. If I had to rank the order "of attack"

1. Oil pressure switch
2. Timing belt "job"
3. Control arms
4. CV shaft

Yes, ~$1200 hurts but how many car payments (newer car) would that be?

In the end you are going to have to make the call?

EDIT: And once again I'm slow at typing - I see "Shipo" posted as I was typing

Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Running the numbers per Shipo:
  • Repairs: $1200
  • Tires: $500
  • Brakes/misc.: $300
Total: $2000

...divided by 30 months (2.5 years) = $66/month

Assuming the car isn't burning oil, compression OK, body/chassis isn't rusting away, etc. then it would be difficult to buy an equivalent vehicle for $2000 or $66/month. Fifth Gen Accords are probably the most reliable and least expensive vehicles to own, ever. 300K miles w/o major repairs isn't unusual.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Barring any other unknown major issues with the car, my opinion is it is worth it to repair the listed items. Even if you are not into doing axles, timing belt, etc. yourself, the oil pressure switch replacement is a relatively easy DIY job.

I had a 95 Accord EX which had over 200K miles when I gave it to my nephew. I had the timing belt, water pump, other belts, a few oil seals replaced on my dime before I gave it to my nephew, so that I didn't have to worry about a major issue down the road for him. 5 years later now, he is still driving it.

Imho, the 5th gen Accords were one of the most reliable generation out of all the Accords.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

A couple things to consider. One the car is owned and paid for so aside from the repair costs your insurance doesn't go up.
Secondly if you get a new car your insurance will go up and you will have a monthly car payment to pay. Are you financially ok to pay on a car for the next 4 to 6 years? I would suggest going over your budget first. Me personally I would rather just fix it. Why? Because making car payments for 4 to 6 years stinks. That's money that can be put away for other things.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Roader
Fifth Gen Accords are probably the most reliable and least expensive vehicles to own, ever. 300K miles w/o major repairs isn't unusual.
Originally Posted by redbull-1
Imho, the 5th gen Accords were one of the most reliable generation out of all the Accords.
I bought a 5th gen with amost 200K for almost nothing because the owners thought it was too old and had too many miles on it for it to be worth anything.

About 10 years later and another 185K miles put on it (385K total), it did leave the fleet. Only because of driver error. To the safety factor, my youngest son took a corner too fast. Left/drivers front into a ditch, car rolls. All four sides get damage - drivers side, roof, pass side, even the dang under side....air bags and all of that come into play. Car comes to "rest" on the drivers side....son gets out thru the moon roof, thank you honda.

Back on point - a change of the trans fluid might not hurt. Again this is a very simple thing and cost is almost nothing. If you can change the engine oil -don't take that wrong - it might run you $15.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:10 PM

I have a 95 Accord EX and I currently have 423,000 miles, original motor and 5-Speed tranny. I have changed everything you have listed with the help of FAQ's online and a Helm's manual. Like someone calculated above, it's cheaper to keep her. The axles can be had for $40 buxs via Advance Auto and they are completely new axles. Coupon code TRT25. I have helped countless people find good Accords from 90-97. They run forever.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. This is my first car, so your advice has been very enlightening, especially on the "payments equivalent" and insurance cost. I also wasn't expecting such positive comments about the 5th gen Accord's longevity.

Looks like I'll be nurturing this car back to good health.

Originally Posted by djkurious
The axles can be had for $40 buxs via Advance Auto and they are completely new axles. Coupon code TRT25.
Conveniently enough, there's an Advance Auto near where I live. If I post a picture of the invoice from the shop, could you guys help me pick out the correct parts? There's quite a bit of selection and, as I mentioned, I'm new to all this.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by cukaracha
Conveniently enough, there's an Advance Auto near where I live. If I post a picture of the invoice from the shop, could you guys help me pick out the correct parts? There's quite a bit of selection and, as I mentioned, I'm new to all this.
Yes no problem!

Quick Reply: Worth Repairing? - '94 Accord LX