Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

2000 Honda Accord EX sedan 5spd - some slight mods?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
DrumProdigy83
Unregistered
Default 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan 5spd - some slight mods?

Hey guys, I already posted this in the "Engine" forum but I think my question might pertain more to this forum.... thanks.

I have a 2000 Accord EX 5spd sedan with about 99k miles on it. It runs great I haven't had a single problem with it since I bought it over 50k miles ago. I was real big into car audio and did up my Accord almost immediately, but lately I've been less concerned with sound and more intrigued by performance enhancements. I just want to make my car a little faster. I've already upgraded to an AEM cold air intake which sounds much better lol but there are no noticeable perfomance gains (I didn't expect it to change anything lol).

Anyway, I don't want to super or turbo charge this car at all. I have a budget of $2000 tops (including installation & labor costs) so as far as parts are concerned my budget is significantly less. I was thinking of making the following changes: intake (done), headers, performance chip (ECU?), sway bars, brakes, exhaust (maybe). I don't know how important the manifold is, but it would make sense that if I am changing the headers and exhaust I might as well change the manifold as well. I am really new to all this and don't know really how to go about picking stuff out. I like to do my own research but if you guys could just help steer me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. My goal is to add 20-30hp really... the more the merrier... but I just want to add a little more pep to the engine and increase handling a tad and braking as well. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan 5spd - some slight mods?

i posed on your other thread..but it occured to me that you may want to add some soild or semi soild motor mounts, and some better suspension...perhaps get it a bit lower to the ground...

Old 04-22-2005, 05:16 PM
DrumProdigy83
Unregistered

Header Discussion...

I just read this ^^^ and it was very interesting to say the least. It seems that only a few hp gains are achieved by switching headers and stuff... and the gains are all in the upper power band taking away from the low-end power. Basically, it seems like you don't really get what you pay for. [&:] I plan on buying one of the new Acura TL's either at the end of this year or next, so I think maybe I will just wait until then and get the A-spec kit instead of putting that money into my Accord now. I am still going to do more reading on all of this, but I think maybe I'll just stick with the car stereo for now lol. Thanks for your help and let me know what you think about that link.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: DrumProdigy83

Hey guys, I already posted this in the "Engine" forum but I think my question might pertain more to this forum.... thanks.

I have a 2000 Accord EX 5spd sedan with about 99k miles on it. It runs great I haven't had a single problem with it since I bought it over 50k miles ago. I was real big into car audio and did up my Accord almost immediately, but lately I've been less concerned with sound and more intrigued by performance enhancements. I just want to make my car a little faster. I've already upgraded to an AEM cold air intake which sounds much better lol but there are no noticeable perfomance gains (I didn't expect it to change anything lol).

Anyway, I don't want to super or turbo charge this car at all. I have a budget of $2000 tops (including installation & labor costs) so as far as parts are concerned my budget is significantly less. I was thinking of making the following changes: intake (done), headers, performance chip (ECU?), sway bars, brakes, exhaust (maybe). I don't know how important the manifold is, but it would make sense that if I am changing the headers and exhaust I might as well change the manifold as well. I am really new to all this and don't know really how to go about picking stuff out. I like to do my own research but if you guys could just help steer me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. My goal is to add 20-30hp really... the more the merrier... but I just want to add a little more pep to the engine and increase handling a tad and braking as well. Thanks for your help guys.
Brakes will take up 1/4 of your money. OEM is fine.
Exhaust is OK, but basically your not gonna get much power out of an Accord with just bolt-ons. Get some cams, an exhaust, and a DC header, you'd be set. Forget the manifold, your not moving enough air through there to really need one, plus there isn't one that will bolt right up, you'd have to gat custom one, which will cost a lot. Our ECU's aren't prime for re-chipping considering we don't spin that high. So unless your gonna you $1000+ for AEM EMS, forget N/A tuning. The F23 just won't make big power with bolt-ons. Your $2k may get you 10whp unless you do it properly, with a good cam profile and may get 20-30whp with the bolt-ons inlcuded. Performance mods help each other as they increase the efficiency of the engine. You could get the Gude head package and call it a day. Not sure on they're quality though. But it's available.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:06 PM
DrumProdigy83
Unregistered

"Get some cams, an exhaust, and a DC header, you'd be set."

How much do you think installation would cost approx for all of this stuff? The total cost should be below $2000 and will yield a 20-30hp increase? Hmmmm. Thanks for your help I'm still kind of undecided if it is even worth spending the money. I plan on buying something nicer (Acura TL, Infiniti G35, BMW 3 series, Lexus IS300...) in a year or two. Do you guys think it's worth it to upgrade? I am in my car all the time city and highway driving. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: DrumProdigy83

"Get some cams, an exhaust, and a DC header, you'd be set."

How much do you think installation would cost approx for all of this stuff? The total cost should be below $2000 and will yield a 20-30hp increase? Hmmmm. Thanks for your help I'm still kind of undecided if it is even worth spending the money. I plan on buying something nicer (Acura TL, Infiniti G35, BMW 3 series, Lexus IS300...) in a year or two. Do you guys think it's worth it to upgrade? I am in my car all the time city and highway driving. Thanks.
Personally, I'd just get a better car and save the money then. Two years on a vehicle isn't long. but here:

DC Header approx. $300 install yourself for free
Cams from www.webcams.com approx. $300-400
Gude head package about $1500 (includes cam, throttle body, etc.) http://www.gude.com/
Exhaust- take your pick, about $300.

Also understand that those increases are estimates. The only reason I gave those numbers is based on a good cam profile.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:21 PM
DrumProdigy83
Unregistered

Thanks man I appreciate all this help. It does seem a bit expesive for such a low boost in power. Out of curiosity, will adding these things affect reliability? I just put on some xenons and am working on the stereo again, hopefully they will keep me busy and preoccupied enough throughout the next year or so to keep my mind off of performance. With the money I save by not modding the Accord, I will be able to get the A-Spec kit for the TL or go to Dinan if I get a 3series. I'll think about it, but it seems no matter how much I think about it the price : performance ratio still remains quite high..... Thanks again man!

Old 04-29-2005, 05:58 PM

Generally the $ = 1hp $$$$$$$$$$ = 2 hp, lol. Power cost alot, that's why people boost, so they can stop spitting out $500 at a time for 3hp. N/A setups (such as what I recommended are reliable, considering your not adding much stress on the internals.

$3000 on bolt-ons and internals on a N/A setup.. will probably yield, 20-40hp
$3000 on a turbo will yeild 50 hp on stock internals add a couple hundred more and you can go up in power.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator

this theory doesnt work for bigger engines though...on a small engine, spending 3g may not do much NA, on a viper on LS1...its a different story...

Old 05-02-2005, 06:03 PM

I agree... Ive found that rams in cai's are more effective on bigger engines.

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan 5spd - some slight mods?