Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   99 Honda Accord EX Coupe v6 Exhaust Mufflers (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-12/99-honda-accord-ex-coupe-v6-exhaust-mufflers-52494/)

phi1542 01-19-2013 06:59 PM

99 Honda Accord EX Coupe v6 Exhaust Mufflers

Hi I'm new to the forum and I just needed some help picking out a muffler. I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX coupe v6 3.0L pretty much bone stock and I was wondering what is the inlet measurement for stock exhaust piping? They have the regualr universal muffler which is 2.4" inlet ID and a turbo version which is 3" inlet ID. I'm not sure which will fit my car. Here are some links for reference:

M-N1 Muffler Megan Racing

M-N1 Turbo Muffler http://www.meganracing.com/product_d...d=389&catid=21

phantom699 01-21-2013 08:55 PM

most of the hondas are 2.25' piping. A lot of "performance" parts start at 2.5' +, and 3' are normally for turboed engines. If you are going bigger then stock, i would suggest not going more then .25' under/over what stock is. There are adaptors for the cat back so that a 2.5' will fit a 2.25' outlet, and you can always weld it on if it doesnt direct fit bolt on. Also, N1 imo are not that good, there loud and will get u pulled over because they almost always amplified.

* i am running a varex 2.5' inlet oval muffler, they are illegal because it has a butteryfly valve to adjust the volume, but as long as u have a resonator inbetween the cat/muff and keep it under 95db you should be good. i think most laws state that 92-95db at 3500rpms WOT

phi1542 02-06-2013 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by phantom699 (Post 308781)
most of the hondas are 2.25' piping. A lot of "performance" parts start at 2.5' +, and 3' are normally for turboed engines. If you are going bigger then stock, i would suggest not going more then .25' under/over what stock is. There are adaptors for the cat back so that a 2.5' will fit a 2.25' outlet, and you can always weld it on if it doesnt direct fit bolt on. Also, N1 imo are not that good, there loud and will get u pulled over because they almost always amplified.

* i am running a varex 2.5' inlet oval muffler, they are illegal because it has a butteryfly valve to adjust the volume, but as long as u have a resonator inbetween the cat/muff and keep it under 95db you should be good. i think most laws state that 92-95db at 3500rpms WOT

thanks you! so i should order a 2.25 inlet? i was thinking about some magna flow mufflers. how are those?

phi1542 02-06-2013 07:18 PM

these are the ones im thinking about getting. they should fit?

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

phi1542 02-06-2013 07:38 PM

actually those are hella expensive. are there any good ones like that? i'm just looking for the dual tip ones because im on a budget.

phantom699 02-12-2013 07:52 PM

dont be ashamed to use ebay and look for mufflers, there not made as good but if your staying stock dimensions with a dual tip then you can just get a bolt on for CHEAP.

also if your having a shop weld/bolt it on for you, make sure they have j hooks incase the original bracket does not work

Aiken_Roo 02-13-2013 10:32 AM

I recommend Ebay. I just picked this up for $ 157.00. I plan on installing it this weekend so I can't tell you how it sounds yet. The model I picked up is sold out but there are some similar set ups for about the same price as long as you don't live in Cali. you should be fine.

• FITS: 98-02 HONDA ACCORD CATBACK V6
    WITH N1 STYLE DUAL MUFFLER TIP + SILENCER

HIGH PERFORMANCE N1 STYLE CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM FEATURING PATENTED STRAIGHT THROUGH & MULTI-CORE TECHNOLOGY TO UNLEASH HIDDEN HORSEPOWER

MADE OF HIGH QUALITY T-304 STAINLESS STEEL WITH MANDREL BEND ( LIGHT WEIGHT DESIGN )
    DUAL 4.5" TIP 2. 5" LIGHT-WEIGHT PIPING
    C.N.C. MACHINED FLANGES
    MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE WHICH INCREASES UP TO 15 HORSEPOWER
    HIGH FLOW/AFTERMARKET CATALYTIC CONVERTER MAY BE NEEDED (NOT INCLUDED)

phi1542 02-13-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by phantom699 (Post 311246)
dont be ashamed to use ebay and look for mufflers, there not made as good but if your staying stock dimensions with a dual tip then you can just get a bolt on for CHEAP.

also if your having a shop weld/bolt it on for you, make sure they have j hooks incase the original bracket does not work

Thanks! I'll probably have a look around ebay for some mufflers haha

phi1542 02-13-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Aiken_Roo (Post 311297)
I recommend Ebay. I just picked this up for $ 157.00. I plan on installing it this weekend so I can't tell you how it sounds yet. The model I picked up is sold out but there are some similar set ups for about the same price as long as you don't live in Cali. you should be fine.

HIGH PERFORMANCE N1 STYLE CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM FEATURING PATENTED STRAIGHT THROUGH & MULTI-CORE TECHNOLOGY TO UNLEASH HIDDEN HORSEPOWER

MADE OF HIGH QUALITY T-304 STAINLESS STEEL WITH MANDREL BEND ( LIGHT WEIGHT DESIGN )
    C.N.C. MACHINED FLANGES

Nice! When you finish the setup can you show me how it looks and sounds?

phi1542 02-13-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Aiken_Roo (Post 311297)

C.N.C. MACHINED FLANGES

And what do you mean by if u don't live in Cali? Because I actually do live in California..... Lol

shipo 02-13-2013 11:59 AM

Because such a setup in California is illegal.

phi1542 02-13-2013 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 311308)
Because such a setup in California is illegal.

what? really? oh i didnt know that... why is it illegal? is n1 mufflers above the db limit?

phi1542 02-13-2013 07:28 PM

are these any good? i want it loud and deep. i dont want it sounding like stock mufflers.. but im not really sure what to go with?

OBX Forza Universal Muffler TR Type 2 5 2 5" Miata Neon Prelude Civic | eBay

JimBlake 02-13-2013 10:11 PM

ANYTHING in California has to have CARB certification. Even an identical muffler where the manufacturer hasn't gone through the official certification process would be illegal there.

Aiken_Roo 02-14-2013 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by phi1542 (Post 311302)
And what do you mean by if u don't live in Cali? Because I actually do live in California..... Lol

That narrows down your options and because of the required CARB certifications it means you are going to pay at least double for just about any modifications you want to do.

phi1542 02-14-2013 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aiken_Roo (Post 311396)
That narrows down your options and because of the required CARB certifications it means you are going to pay at least double for just about any modifications you want to do.

oh geez.... well this sucks... ill take the risk i guess. lol and btw when you get your exhaust ststem hooked up let me know becasue i was thinking of getting those mufflers but im not sure how they will look on my car, dual n1.

Aiken_Roo 02-15-2013 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by phi1542 (Post 311475)
oh geez.... well this sucks... ill take the risk i guess. lol and btw when you get your exhaust ststem hooked up let me know becasue i was thinking of getting those mufflers but im not sure how they will look on my car, dual n1.

Be happy to.

phi1542 02-19-2013 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aiken_Roo (Post 311520)
Be happy to.

did you ever end up setting up that new exhaust yet?

hondafreak91c 02-20-2013 01:19 AM

If it were me, I would go with Magnaflow or Vibrant Performance mufflers......pick out which style you like, and take it to an exhaust shop, and have them bend and weld up piping. Those Megan canister style exhausts tend to drone a lot at highway speeds, and are generally pretty loud, and even raspy. Magnaflows however, have a very refined sound, and are quieter.....= Less attention from cops. Its also a higher quality product.

You're OEM piping will most likely be too small, and no matter what, you will have to change you're overall exhaust piping diameter.

Aiken_Roo 02-20-2013 10:52 AM

The shop I ordered the exhaust from said they had a damaged shipment from the manufacturer and won't be receiving a replacement until some time this week. Can't complain to much they offered to refund my money or give me a 10% discount for the wait. I took the discount.

phantom699 02-20-2013 12:23 PM

hope w/e u order is CARB accepted since u live in cali. + u will have a nice little sticker lol to show when u get the car inspected. same deal with intakes, california sucks for emissions

shipo 02-20-2013 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by phantom699 (Post 312125)
...California sucks for emissions

Hmmm, I guess you don't like breathing clean air.

phantom699 02-20-2013 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 312126)
Hmmm, I guess you don't like breathing clean air.

Guess u dont know what Jersey is. free to enter pay to leave! junky jersey takin over with dat fist pumpin and 1minute inspections.

shipo 02-20-2013 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by phantom699 (Post 312155)
Guess u dont know what Jersey is. free to enter pay to leave! junky jersey takin over with dat fist pumpin and 1minute inspections.

Say what?

phi1542 02-20-2013 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 312087)
If it were me, I would go with Magnaflow or Vibrant Performance mufflers......pick out which style you like, and take it to an exhaust shop, and have them bend and weld up piping. Those Megan canister style exhausts tend to drone a lot at highway speeds, and are generally pretty loud, and even raspy. Magnaflows however, have a very refined sound, and are quieter.....= Less attention from cops. Its also a higher quality product.

You're OEM piping will most likely be too small, and no matter what, you will have to change you're overall exhaust piping diameter.

yea i really like those mufflers, they sound really nice! but downfall is they are expensive af which i cant afford :/ im a high school kid w/o a job haha i just go with what i can get. but yea those are high quality and sound great. i always worried about getting cops attention... lol thanks for all the feed back guys! might just save up for some good **** then hahaha :D

hondafreak91c 02-20-2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by phi1542 (Post 312179)
yea i really like those mufflers, they sound really nice! but downfall is they are expensive af which i cant afford :/ im a high school kid w/o a job haha i just go with what i can get. but yea those are high quality and sound great. i always worried about getting cops attention... lol thanks for all the feed back guys! might just save up for some good **** then hahaha :D

That's not an excuse lol. I started modding my car when I was in high school. Just save a little bit out of every paycheck. It will all add up. That's what I did. I'd rather take a long time to build my car and have it built with quality parts, than have car built in 6 months with crap parts.

Do it once, do it right. You'll end up spending less money in the long run, and there is nothing like knowing that your car is built with quality parts.

phi1542 03-25-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 312087)

which are you running? im thinking magnaflow but i dont mind droning or loudness. i actually prefer it haha it doesnt bother me plus there arent many cops in my area. can you hear magnaflows while regular driving or only during full throttle? i really like the look of the magnaflow exhaust. ive never heard of vibrant, are those any good too?

hondafreak91c 03-25-2013 11:20 PM

Currently, I have the stock exhaust. I'm just waiting to smog the car again before I change it out. I'm planning on going with a Magnaflow dual tip muffler with custom piping.

Listening to videos again, I definitely think the Magnaflow will be the best sounding choice. Its nice and rumbly.

If you want it louder, you can always remove the resonator.

phi1542 03-27-2013 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 316137)
Currently, I have the stock exhaust. I'm just waiting to smog the car again before I change it out. I'm planning on going with a Magnaflow dual tip muffler with custom piping.

Listening to videos again, I definitely think the Magnaflow will be the best sounding choice. Its nice and rumbly.

Magnaflow on a 2000 Accord V6 - YouTube

this sounds nice! i think i will go with this. but the full exhaust is crazy expensive. how much is custom piping? do they provide the resonators or do those come off the stock pipe and onto the new pipe

phi1542 03-27-2013 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c (Post 316137)

What's the difference between 2.25" piping and 2.5"? Besides obviously the size. Do you really get much gain in performance or sound improvement? Deciding if I should keep stock piping or upgrade. Is it really worth the money?

shipo 03-27-2013 11:15 AM

The argument can be made that you will lose power, especially in the mid range, by increasing the piping size to 2.5".