Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

adding a magnaflow muffler, MSD distributor, and cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Default adding a magnaflow muffler, MSD distributor, and cold air intake

I am trying to put some more power into my 2000 honda accord and the car has about 197000 miles on it. The way it is, everything right now is stock on it and the engine and transmission are original, never rebuilt, replaced or whatever else. Everything is original. I was talking to a mechanic the other day when getting my headlights fixed and he said that he could put in some new parts if I wanted some more power out of the engine. Note, I am not attempting to street race or race at all with my car or even attempting to make it sound tin canny or loud or any such thing. I just want some more power out of the engine to catch up to highway speeds a little quicker and to pass on the highway. I also do not want to blow up my engine or damage it in any manner, I want this car to last forever if its possible.

So, the mechanic bought some parts for the car for me and it cost me about 370 total which included a MSD distributor, a new cold air intake (not the one that sucks in cold air from the wheel well because where I live it rains a lot), and a new magnaflow muffler i believe. My question is, is it going to end up sounding really loud and annoying at highway speeds or any speed at all?? Secondly, will I get any real noticeable horsepower change out of this?? Is there any potential for engine damage in the long or short run from these mods?? I shouldn't be asking after I paid for the parts but better late than never.

thanks for any responses guys..

Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default should help

HHey. So the cold air intake should add a ten percent gain to ur horsepower and magnaflow exhuast lets the car breathe a little also suppose to help with what your looking for. And the disturbortor sry that's splet wrong but it should help also not exactly sure how much on the exhuast or cap. But if urs isn't in the fenders where ur intale go and if you message me ur specs ur carmodel enginge type etc ill look it up in my honda database I have tell ur the hp torque etc. Brandyn. 88 98 honda accord.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by turbokohm425
HHey. So the cold air intake should add a ten percent gain to ur horsepower and magnaflow exhuast lets the car breathe a little also suppose to help with what your looking for. And the disturbortor sry that's splet wrong but it should help also not exactly sure how much on the exhuast or cap. But if urs isn't in the fenders where ur intale go and if you message me ur specs ur carmodel enginge type etc ill look it up in my honda database I have tell ur the hp torque etc. Brandyn. 88 98 honda accord.
alright so I had em put on today, the muffler and the cold air intake. its a spectre cold air intake. the muffler is great except the noise is deafening.. I can't take it, it is just not for me. My mechanic says thats the quietest aftermarket performance muffler. I believe it is a magnaflow and it was a used one but only two weeks used so I got it cheap. the new one costs like 400 something apparently or so i was told. So now i want the stock one back on because this is simply too loud for day to day driving and I get a ring in my ears on the highway.

here's my questions dude, does repeatedly cutting the exhaust pipe and welding a muffler damage the exhaust pipe in the long run?? The mechanic had to cut the stock pipe to get the stock muffler off and weld on the aftermarket muffler. Now he'll have to cut and weld again, since I want the stock back on. He had to cut it in the first place cuz the stock bolts were too rusted out to be removed. So any serious worrisome damage in the short or long run from this repeated cutting??

Secondly, now that the exhaust will soon go back to stock, does that mean any cold air intake, new platinum spark plugs, and a performance distributor basically add no power at all??

Old 04-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No recuttin and going back to stock does not damage the exhuast sustem. The cold air I have same on it does add powerr the plugs are better sparks and longer lastin therefore ur gas will light better and burn better little more power not lot tho. Anx the msd cap help plug light better to all nice easy mods that do help nothing is gonna make it a tokoyo drift or fast an furious car better worth having the cokd air will give car a nice growl that's all call or txt me if u have questions I kno many mechanics 6026920625

Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 AM

No recuttin and going back to stock does not damage the exhuast sustem. The cold air I have same on it does add powerr the plugs are better sparks and longer lastin therefore ur gas will light better and burn better little more power not lot tho. Anx the msd cap help plug light better to all nice easy mods that do help nothing is gonna make it a tokoyo drift or fast an furious car better worth having the cokd air will give car a nice growl that's all call or txt me if u have questions I kno many mechanics 6026920625
hey, thanks for the response.. i may take you up on that call or text me offer. I've just another question or two. So, essentially, without that exhaust change I did nothing noticeably useful to my car?? That's a dumb way to spend 500 bucks. Aside from that, my mechanic keeps saying, if you don't change the exhaust, there is no way you'll get that much more power out of the car no matter what you do. Then he says the quietest performance exhaust is the one I have on right now. Is there seriously no perfectly stock sounding performance exhaust or a quieter than stock exhaust?? Quiet driving is peaceful considering I take road trips on this car. I asked him what if we were to weld on a stock Acura TSX exhaust to the honda accord. Assuming that's even possible, he says it'd still be really loud. Why is that?? The TSX isn't specifically loud stock?? I just want a quiet sounding performance exhaust..

Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No those mods add piwer but even exhuast isn't add lots they help their own little ways. You and chip it those are said to gain 65 plus hp 4-7mpg and lower emissions. And u could try id have to see the mufflers before I can say if they will match up. Mine has no specail exhuast its fine

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

What model a cord lx dx ex etx and wat ebginge did they use

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM

you could just buy a silencer if you are worried about the sound from your muffler....it would be alot cheaper than having him take it back off and it can be quickly and easily installed by you.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 AM

What model a cord lx dx ex etx and wat ebginge did they use
Its a SE (special edition) but I guess its essentially an LX with a few extra option or an EX without a sunroof. The engine it uses is a F23A4 I think because its the ULEV. It could be the A1 though, not sure, I know it is an F23, 2.3 liter 4 cyl. And you also said why not chip it. What would be my concerns if I chipped it and can I do it myself?? I've little knowledge of cars but enough to do little things. Wouldn't it also place more stress on the engine block and internals if I chip it to generate like 30 more horsepower and wouldn't the gas mileage go goodbye??

Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Micah777
you could just buy a silencer if you are worried about the sound from your muffler....it would be alot cheaper than having him take it back off and it can be quickly and easily installed by you.
yeah but i wasn't worried about the noise on the outside of the car so much as the inside. The outside was actually fairly quiet, just the inside was defeaning and annoying. Either way, I got scammed by that craigslist mechanic, successfully lost 570 dollars over nothing but a 70 dollar intake essentially and had the exhaust removed and a new catback installed and the old muffler put back on at a gas station for 300 dollars on top of the 570 i lost over that scam. So life sucks, I am now broke and pissed. Anyway, any suggestions on the chipping issue that someone else brought up?? At this point, anything I do will have to be possible to be done by me, not a mechanic..

Quick Reply: adding a magnaflow muffler, MSD distributor, and cold air intake