Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

aftermarket intakes arent good for your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: aftermarket intakes arent good for your engine?

The reason I posted that test was it was controlled so that other factors such as vaccum leaks, etc are not taken into consideration. Some people live in areas where there is a lot more dirt than others, etc too many variables.. if an OEM filter is not properly installed, it is quite possible for the oil to be dirty...

Old 05-31-2006, 07:58 PM

And if any filter isnt properly installed it becomes the same situation. Non oiled cone filters that are generic brand i can definetly believe let in more dirt and etc then stock filters. But you have to look at the fact that you have most stock intakes that let in 1/4th the air as well

Old 05-31-2006, 08:10 PM

the thing that I actually liked about this test (even though I have a REALLY hard time agreeing with it) is that they use a constant amount of airflow and it's not based on intake. The issue I have is that if a stock airfilter catches more dirt then how is it possible that it maintains a higher airflow rating? if it's got more crap plugging it up because it's catching more crap then how is it possible for a K&N that has less crap built up on it to pass through less air than a stock one when they've both been subjected to the same amount of dirt?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:22 PM

Actually the K&N has a higher flow rate until it starts getting restricted then it just start restricting at a very exponential rate type of curve...where as the stock filter is very linear in its ability.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Go down to where it shows inital restriction and you will see that the K&N is the least restrictive side of the chart and the a/c delco is on the other side (most restricive)

Old 06-01-2006, 12:06 AM

are you guys talking about cold air or short ram intakes?

Old 06-01-2006, 12:37 AM

It doesnt matter, controlled situations do not equate to a standard for every car in every city. Not that i wouldnt mind having an industrial high flow fan constantly blowing into my intake.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

The reason I posted that test was it was controlled so that other factors such as vaccum leaks, etc are not taken into consideration. Some people live in areas where there is a lot more dirt than others, etc too many variables.. if an OEM filter is not properly installed, it is quite possible for the oil to be dirty...

Very good point and the test does appear to be done well, I had seen it before. What it really boils down to, in a way, is So What? Not knocking you or their findings, please don't misunderstand. My point is this: Ever heard of a daily driver having it's engine destroyed from a less restrictive air filter? Like Wheelbroker, I have run several cars well over 150K all had a K&N. All were in pristine running condition when I sold them and I always got top dollar. X passes more dirt than Y........... It just might be much ado about nothing.

I use the AEM drystack(?) now but that's because it just happened to come with the short ram that's now on the car. Cleaning it is a two edged sword; you don't have to deal with the messy cleaner and re-oiling but you do need to use AEM cleaner (so they say). I haven't cleaned mine yet but I am curious how long it will take the dry since the material is more dense than the cotton gauze. As far as the unknown amount of dirt that may or may not enter the engine over the next ten years......I don't really care because I don't see it as a problem.

Old 06-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Administrator

And another thing that I know RTex likes and I also and it's the Sound..Right Tex
and of course the looks..

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 AM

Personally I would work on other things first before investing in a new air filter like removing the existing restrictions in the intake such as resonator, larger throttle body, larger intake tube.......less restrictive exhaust

Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Administrator

The only thing that is wrong with your reply for him is that it doesn't pertain to his Question YeuEmMaiMai.
But your posting of those tests was well taken on the actual question he asked...

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: aftermarket intakes arent good for your engine?