Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

air intake cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Default RE: air intake cleaner

I think I might look into the Apexi filter. My AEM Dryflow seems so frickin flimsey. It almost seems like the thing is made of paper.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How is dryflow any different than paper? How can compressed air possibly clean it sufficiently? I like the design, but don't trust the filter media concept. If it had paper inserts that get changed or if it said that it lasts for a year I'd like it more.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

How is dryflow any different than paper? How can compressed air possibly clean it sufficiently? I like the design, but don't trust the filter media concept. If it had paper inserts that get changed or if it said that it lasts for a year I'd like it more.
because it isnt paper, is a cotton material i think, probably somethin better. the air shoots the dirt out.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Gauze is cotton. The oiled type are gauze. Cotton has fibers that hold the dust. I don't see how dirt can be blown out of cotton. If you take a T-shirt and rub it in the dirt then blow compressed air through it, I can guarantee that it won't turn white again. Now wash the shirt and it's clean. Same principle I think.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:12 PM

like i said, im not sure. im sure its more advanced than simple cotton.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Like I said, I've heard a lot of good things about the dryflow filters and I really like the design of the one that you have. If I don't agree with the concept or can't understand how it works, I won't use it. This is very closely related to my profession and I know all about filters and media, but the whole idea that you either don't clean it or that compressed air can doesn't sit well with me. If it had a life expectancy similar to paper filters or maybe even twice as long, it might make sense to me, but their current recommendations for its maintenance turns me off. Filters trap dust and such. Anything that can be sprayed off with compressed air is not trapped. A filter that cannot be cleaned is disposable.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Velocifero
Apexi is dry type and i wouldnt say its maintenance free...i clean mine every now and then. everything needs to be cleaned sometime. my mpg increased about 3-5 between city and hwy driving.
I swear my MPG has decreased since I installed my intake with AEM dryflow filter. Even when I try to drive "conservatively" I can't even get 30MPG anymore. last time I calculated I only got 27[&o]. Before installing the SRI I was getting around 31MPG city driving andbetween 33 &35MPG hwy. I do think I need to change my plugs though. maybe next paycheck I'll buy some NGK double plats (OEM for the 2000 4cyl). I've got 123k miles and I kind of doubt my plugs have ever been changed. If I change my plugs and my MPG is still crappy, maybe I'll reinstall my factory intake and see if my MPG goes back up, which would prove or disprove my suspicion of the dryflow decreasing my MPG.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:38 AM

00 .... do you have a worth-while gauze type or just the bomz one? If you have one worth using, I'd be curious to see that comparison, but vs. stock isn't really apples to apples.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

00 .... do you have a worth-while gauze type or just the bomz one? If you have one worth using, I'd be curious to see that comparison, but vs. stock isn't really apples to apples.
I bought the BomZ intake and threw the BomZ filter away. I bought an AEM dryflow filter and slapped it on there. Although to my disappointment and confusion, the BomZ filter actually felt more expensive and higher quality than the AEM Dryflow filter, but I didn't trust something that cheap, so I tossed it.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM

thicker material doesn't really mean better filtration, capacity .... yes, but the pore size of the material is the most important factor. This is why paper filters are common.

Quick Reply: air intake cleaner