Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

is a bypass valve really nessary when you get a cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
Default is a bypass valve really nessary when you get a cold air intake?

i was reading from this website for AEM intakes and it said that it is recommended that you get a bypass valve
has anyone not gotten one and not have problems?

Old 09-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Default RE: is a bypass valve really nessary when you get a cold air intake?

I'll stick my neck out here and say that the vast majority of CAI owners do not have a bypass valve. It really boils down to exactly where the filter will end up in the fender. For instance: I had a CAI on an '03 Corolla and you would have had to submurge 3/4 of the wheel/tire before you touched the bottom of the filter. In an Acoord, which is lower to begin with, if the filter ends up very low in the fender then a bypass valve might be a smart idea.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 PM

got a v2 in my accord had it for 4 or 5 month now been thru all kinds of rain and been fine even on the hwy. well of course the v2 you can't put in a bypass valve.. but you get the point. but i still tend to avoid puddles when i see them. just keep that in mind, either way you will be fine without it but you won't have to worry if you had it.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:30 PM

I'd recommend a bypass valve for a CAI since it is only 50 dollars. To me, 50 dollars is well worth the peace of mind that I won't have to pay for a bent rod or something that will cost a large amount more than the bypass. Tex is right though, the vast majority of people with CAIs don't have a bypass valve and more than likely won't ever have a problem.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:34 AM

jus to kinda reaffirm wut the otha guys sed, you most likely wont need one if you do not get heavy flooding or downpour in your area. i personally have an injen cold air which is one piece, so deres no way to put a bypass valve. i havent had any trouble yet.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

unless you plan on driving in a foot deep of water you dont need it cause heavy rain isnt going to flood that filter in the wheel well, now if you leave it completely exposed, yea, youre going to have problems, but the bypass valve isnt going to truely help you in the end because its pulling in air from there as well, if you believe you need a bypass, just stick with a shortram

Old 09-04-2006, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: kidwidstyle

jus to kinda reaffirm wut the otha guys sed, you most likely wont need one if you do not get heavy flooding or downpour in your area. i personally have an injen cold air which is one piece, so deres no way to put a bypass valve. i havent had any trouble yet.
They have to be cut in order to install the valve.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: tom15425

I'd recommend a bypass valve for a CAI since it is only 50 dollars. To me, 50 dollars is well worth the peace of mind that I won't have to pay for a bent rod or something that will cost a large amount more than the bypass. Tex is right though, the vast majority of people with CAIs don't have a bypass valve and more than likely won't ever have a problem.
I agree. If I were to go CAI on the Accord I would cough up the relatively small amount involved to potentially save hydrolocking the engine.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 AM

ok, thanks for the information guys
i think i will get one just incase, even though im from southern california and there's not a lot of rain...
you'll never know when you might need it...

Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 AM

posting this quite later than the last post, but I live in Washington and we get a TON of rain. Matrix cold air intake on my 94ex and not one problem ever.

Quick Reply: is a bypass valve really nessary when you get a cold air intake?