Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

CAI or SRI

Old 03-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Default CAI or SRI

i was about to get a CAI with a bypass valve but then people kept saying that it will still have a chance of hydro locking my engine and they said i should just get a SRI. But CAI have an advantage over SRI dont they? So should i just play it safe and get an SRI or go for and CAI? or is there something else that i should look at as well?

Old 03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: CAI or SRI

as long as you have a bypass valve you shouldnt have any problems with hydrolocking.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Screw the bypass valve...it messes with everything. Get a Drycharge filter...basically a jacket for your intake that blocks water but is permeable to air. It's God's little CAI gift.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

You still have a chance of hydrolocking with a bypass valve, but you have about that same chance with just an SRI. CAI with bypass valve is a good bet.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:58 PM

i have a CAI without a bypass valve. i would have to drive through a puddle thats almost half way up the brake rotor for the pipe to ingest water. i think its just another way to squeeze 50 bucks out of the consumer

Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: Fenix

i have a CAI without a bypass valve. i would have to drive through a puddle thats almost half way up the brake rotor for the pipe to ingest water. i think its just another way to squeeze 50 bucks out of the consumer
Well, you would have to be in water that high for the pipe to be IN water, but the filter doesnt have to be submerged to suck water in. A big enough splash will cause water to go into your intake. Why not just spend the $50 to make sure you dont have to spend $1500 on a new engine? Its like auto insurance, you dont need it until something happens, and then if you dont have it, youre screwed.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 AM

A cold air intake allows a marginal +amount of horsepower over the short ram. To some it's worth it, to me it's not (anymore). The last thing I want to do is to crawl under the car, remove a wheel, an inner fender, just to clean a filter. To me it just ain't worth it for a proclaimed+ 3HP or so. Your call, I chose not to deal with CAI maintenance a while back. Short Ram works for me.

If you decide to go with the CAI then cough up for the bypass.....just in case that deep water ever happens you won't be buying a new engine.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Hi-Five for SRI!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:22 AM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

High five... for sexy time?

Old 03-30-2007, 01:06 PM

high five for one of stewies sexy parties