Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

check engine light came on becuase of cat converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Default check engine light came on becuase of cat converter

i just found out that my check engine light came on because of the car converter. i wen to couple of placese to check out the price to get it done. so far any where from 200-360 to replace the cat converter because it have the o2 sensor on the cat. let me ask u guy this. if i dont' get it fix and keep driving the car. is there any harm to the car, now or later on if i don't get the car cat replace? and how woud it effect my proformances? thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Default RE: check engine light came on becuase of cat converter

You can get it fixed for less than that.... just look for an oem replacement cat and do the work yourself... One of the biggest issues you're going to face if you don't get it fixed is that if something else goes wrong that would throw a CEL you're not going to know because it will always be on (that's one of my fears anyway...) If nothing goes wrong with the car then driving with the cat being "bad" (as long as it's not plugged) isn't going to make any difference... If it's partially plugged then you're going to be experiencing slight drops in performance and gas mileage compared to what it would be stock...

How did he determine it was the cat converter that was bad?

Old 05-05-2006, 02:43 PM

where can i get a oem car replacement at??? they did a test on the car and give me a error code P0420. i talked to couple of peoples and they said with that code either the o2 senor or cat converter. i jsut replaced the o2 sensor last week.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:55 PM

Did you replace the front O2 sensor or the one right after the cat? Try this first the fuse number may be wrong this is for a 98:

DTC P0420: Catalytic System Efficiency Below Threshold. Basically it's saying the catalytic converter is not working properly. But before we go and replace it, we need to check it.

First clear all the codes from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) thusly.

* Turn the ignition switch OFF , and remove the No.13 CLOCK BACKUP fuse (7.5 A) (A) from the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box (B) for 10 seconds.

Honda Accord DTC P0420

Now, start the engine and hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load, in Park or neutral, until the radiator fan comes on.

Test-drive 40 to 55 mph for approximately two minutes. Then decelerate for at least 3 seconds with the throttle completely closed. Then reduce the vehicle speed to 35 mph. If the light comes back on, you will need to replace the catalytic converter.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:02 PM

i have a 99 accord coupe ex v6. i replaced both of the o2 sensors and they did all that tested before they told me is the car converter. u think 180 for part and labor a good price? u think is ok if i wait like a month before i get it done?

Old 05-05-2006, 04:18 PM

providing it's a good part I'd say 180 is about right... pretty decent price if they know what they are doing... If you wait a month you should be fine providing nothing else goes wrong with the car and you don't know about it because your CEL is already on... but you should be fine for a month

Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 PM

check out autopartswarehouse.com
i saw some for ur car theyre cheap.