Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Default cold air intake

i have a 1992 honda accord ex-r and i got a cold air intake for it, the problem i see is that it sucks hot air in from the engine compartment, any suggestions>

Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Supper Moderator

How can you see it sucking hot air when your filter is in the wheel well?

Old 04-29-2010, 03:03 AM

how do you know its sucking hot air? and are you sure its not ram air intake be more specific of what intake you purchased

Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 AM

sorry i didnt really explaine it well i was in a hurry in class,its just a cheapy cold air intake, mr.gasket i believe. but the air filter is like right near the wheel well,what im wondering is if i drill holes in the wheel well to try to get cool air from atmosphere, and put a mesh screen over it, would that be a good idea or no? i know that some dust would go into the filter because of the dust comming off the wheel but i mean all its doing now is sucking in hot air from under the hood,which pretty much defeates the purpose right? i tried reading up on it but i couldn't find any usefull information

Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 AM
Supper Moderator

If the filter is visible in the engine bay then you DON'T have a cold air intake you have a short ram.

Name:  shortram.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  49.2 KB
This is a short ram-random pic off google

Name:  DSC_0039.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  65.7 KB
This is a CAI-my cb7

Now since you have a cb if you do go with a real CIA you will have to cut a hole to drop the rest of the intake into the wheel well. But you have to be careful b/c when it rains and you don’t have a bypass valve you will suck up watter. But since you currently have a short ram you won’t have to worry about that. Also you filter stays much cleaner. Mine looks like crap I need a new filter.

Last edited by g22cd5; 04-29-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: miss word somthing
Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

yeah okay sorry man your right,this is my first honda haha bare with me. mine looks egzactly like the first picture there, but all it does is suck in hot air from under the hood. so that would pretty much defete the purpose right, isnt the whole point to increase volumetric efficiancy? im just wonderin if drillin holes in the wheel well right under the air filter would be a good idea or not,

Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Supper Moderator

Drilling holes isn’t gonna do anything. It doesn’t defeat the purpose you are sucking in more air the OE intake was so you have gained in performance. Just your intake charge is still hot air.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:20 PM

okay i gotcha, thanks alot for your advice man greatly appriciated. i understand what you are sayin, i just thought it could bring up the volumetric efficiancy a bit by usin cooler air mixture but no use drillin holes when i dont need to.

thanks again

Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Supper Moderator

Yes IF your intake charge was colder you would have more air packed in. But I have owned a short ram and CIA there isn't that much of a diff.
My cb runs better with the CAI but it didn't run bad with the short ram.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Administrator
Lightbulb Info To Use

K & N shows a 5.3 Horsepower increase with both in their book.
You can e-mail them from our site because they are one of our sponsors guys..They will give you all the right answers. Tell them the sponsor our Car Site for a Discount if your buying...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails cold air intake-69-1500twrhp13typhoon.jpg  

Quick Reply: cold air intake