Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

cold air intakes

Old 01-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Question cold air intakes

i got a 91 accord and want to put a intake on my car has 138000 on it do you think its adviseable

Old 01-02-2010, 08:25 PM

ive never heard of an intake hurting an old car just because it is old. so sure, i dont think its a problem. I know they turbo 86 Corollas up to 300+ HP in japan, so a 91 intake shouldnt be a prob;lme

Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM

cool thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 04:24 PM

not to hijack this thread or anything but what would some benefits be of installing a cold air intake in your car? I seen a guy online who did it and it looked good, but I checked prices online and they run about $250+....is it worth it?

My car isn't running at the moment, but when I get it running, would I benefit from upgrading my air intake, fuel pressure regulator and my exhaust system? What engine/performance upgrades can I do to my car...oh yeah,it's a 93 honda accord. thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fastfox1306
not to hijack this thread or anything but what would some benefits be of installing a cold air intake in your car? I seen a guy online who did it and it looked good, but I checked prices online and they run about $250+....is it worth it?

My car isn't running at the moment, but when I get it running, would I benefit from upgrading my air intake, fuel pressure regulator and my exhaust system? What engine/performance upgrades can I do to my car...oh yeah,it's a 93 honda accord. thanks!

Cold air intakes are one of the basic building blocks of car modifying, almost everyone has one. However its been a long debate as to how useful they are. They do improve horsepower and gas mileage, but its usually by a minuscule margin.

A cheaper alternative is to buy one of the ebay intakes and then put a good filter on it, because at the end of the day a metal tube is a metal tube, and a K&N or AEM metal tube isnt going to be much better than an Ebay one.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:49 PM

i can't see any huge problem with an intake or exhaust. the fuel pressure regulator is the only issue. all i can foresee would be a possible flooding of the engine since the computers ack then weren't that good.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by live2rice

A cheaper alternative is to buy one of the ebay intakes and then put a good filter on it, because at the end of the day a metal tube is a metal tube, and a K&N or AEM metal tube isnt going to be much better than an Ebay one.
I totally disagree.(except on the cheeper part) I use to think the same thing about intake tubes. But after owning a short ram ebay,ebay CIA and AEM and Injen intakes. Nothing compares to the name band intakes. AEM ect. brands spend countless hrs and money engineering each intake for each particular car. If you remove your intake and take a air compressor and rig it to the filter side if your intake(with out the filter on) and blow a constant amount of air it actually comes out of the TB side of the intake in a swirling "tornado" motion witch is a more combustible. Between the cold air you are receiving from your wheel well plus the "tornado" effect that the tube is designed to make over all it creates a cleaner and more powerful combustion. Name brand intakes are A+++++ in my book!!!

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-19-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM

whats the difference between the short and long.. performance?which would be best for starters?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Supper Moderator

Short ram sits the filter right in next to your bat. and sucks in all the hot air from under the hood. Cold air intake is where the intake tube goes down into your wheel well and sucks cold air from right next to your tire. Me personally Id get a coil air intake not the short ram b/c cold air is more combustible the hot air.

Name:  shortram.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  49.2 KB

short ram

Name:  coldairintake.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  35.4 KB

cold air

Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Wink Just bought cold air intake system!

Hi I just bought an injen RD1600p cold air intake system on ebay yesterday for $85...is that good. From my previous research everyone said injen was good and that I should stay away from AEM. Also the pricing I had seen was $200+ for this system, but once I seen it for $49 (+ $36 shipping) I jumped on it and won it!

Now are these systems easy to install? Thanks guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cold air intakes