Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Default Custom exhaust

Ive built a 3in diameter (or as wide as a water bottle) exhaust for my 91 accord, its about 1 1/2 inches wider then the stock, its not a very loud exhaust bit its got tht tone tht every 1 gets with those huge mufflers. What im asking is did i get a few extra horsepower to work with cause wht ive read and my guess is ive gotten at lease 3-8hp with the exhaust. I hope this helps you guys with this.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Do you have any other engine mods? Also, is the exhaust 3" all the way from the headers, a catback or just a muffler? If it's 3" piping and you have no mods I think that's way too huge for a '91. You've probably lost back pressure by going that big.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Supper Moderator

3' is to big if your running a f22
You might have gained 3hp if your lucky

Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM

I used to have straight pipe before in my f23a, it loose low end power because there is no back pressure in it, and also run rich, but sounds awesome though. If it's turbo charge then this set up is good, because turbo charged car doesn't need back pressure, turbo spool faster and gain more power.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Peli
Do you have any other engine mods? Also, is the exhaust 3" all the way from the headers, a catback or just a muffler? If it's 3" piping and you have no mods I think that's way too huge for a '91. You've probably lost back pressure by going that big.

yea i got the catback and a muffler it was way 2 loud without it (had the cops called on me for reving it ) but i dont believe im losing back pressure i do get the unburnt gas flame out the back and no its not miss firing Im running a cold-air intake on it and a custom built header from a local mechanice i work with (builds them for the open wheel modifies tht race here locally but i ran it on the dino at his shop ands im pussing 168hp with 182 ft lbs of tourqe with all the add ons.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Supper Moderator

168hp on a stock block?? With intake and exhaust?...and NO tune useing OEM ECU? Sorry bro can you plz explain to me how you dyno thos numbers? There is NO way a STOCK f22a is making that power with ONLY a oversized exhaust and intake. I pulled out 163hp out of my MODIFYED f22a. There would be no way to gain that type of tq a stock h22 doesn’t even produce that much tq. That engine is actually designed as a performance engine vs. the f22 economy engines.

AEM CAI
f22a4 header
h23 intakemani with butterfly delete and ported.
Single layer head gasket (compression bump from 8:8:1 to 9:0:1)
A6 cam shaft
2.5’ FULL exhaust with NO cat
p28 ecu chipped and tuned...and really really good tune on 93octane from a REALLY GOOD tuner.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call B.S till I see a dyno chart. I know my f22 engines and that a little bit to farfetched. Now if you flipped thos hp and tq. numbers around you would have the stock hp/tq. output of a h22a. Also that 3’ exhaust is WAY too big for a f22 engine. Also I don’t see how you are making tho type of tq. number with that oversized exhaust. If anything your tq. numbers should be much much lower. To big of a exhaust like yours will KILL your tq. numbers.
Plz post a dyno chart.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM

srry about not being specific, and this honda accord is a heavily modifide its more a drag car then my daily driver i have both the same set ups with exhaust and intake but my daily driver is only running at 135hp and thts rounding it up im not sure excatly how much my daily driver real hp is i knw its stock at 125hp and im only saying 135hp cause the cold air intake is getting around 8-10hp increase and im only adding 3 from exhaust yea it doesnt add up 2 135hp but i think it has tht its either more or less i dont care thts my daily driver. But my drag accord is a strip down version no back seats no ac, no raido, no carpet and ec. im running a new ECU, new headers, NOS, intake manifold, new higher voltage wires, alternator, cams, and i could go on its a project car, i knw u most likey either 1. blow up the engine, 2. crack the block, 3. blow myself up lol. the whole reason we did this is 2 see wht we could do 2 this engine until it blows itself up, for example we took a stock 5hp lawn mower and pushed it untill it was pushing our guess 18hp but im getting off topic, i want 2 appologize about not being specific with wht i have under the hood i will try to get the dyno records on the drag car and pics soonl.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Supper Moderator

you haveall that work done and onnly pulling 168hp? What ecu are you running and how much spray are you running?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Well I must announce tht we blew up the moter in the drag car, cracked the block, oh well time to buy another engine for like $500 and try again we did get 2 runs in on it at the local strip if i remeber correctly for the 1/4 it was 13.42 at 103mph without NOS. but with NOS it was like 11.58 at 111mph and the shot we were using was dry and the ECU hmmm i suck at electrical components and have no idea wht it was i believe we took it off from another accord with or tht was the other car, I cant remeber from the top of my head I got a buddy who does tht type of work i race and work on the cars mechanical components and right now im workingon removing the engine from the drag accord not sure wht engine we will decide but im thinking either a F22a4 or the B20A5 i love the F22 engines but need something tht can take the abuse and this time we may decide to not go with the NOS since tht blew the engine and only till the last 100ft it blew so it did its job and now we will get a new engine and keep on going and see wht happens, we got some money to work with but we are a bunch of rednecks (not trailer trash) that all own trucks (including me, F250) and we just screw around with old cars like this accord we bought it for $300 got it running and started tweaking with it here and there and after a year and a half we got a decesnt fwd drag car.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Supper Moderator

mid 13 sec with f22 in a heavy accord? Even if stripped your not as light a civic. Something is not right here. Civics with modified h22s don't even run thos times. My boy is running a supercharged h22 in his civic and he is running 13.20 @ 107mph. And he is a killer driver.

11.58 on spray? how much spray like 300shot?

I'm sorry but I call B.S I know my f22 engines and you have still yet to provide any info on your "heavily modified drag engine" other than the 168hp with nitrous. What trans are you running? What ecu? Are you even tuned or running OEM mapping. I'm sorry but your info is not adding up to mid 13 sec run let alone a mid 11 sec run either. I would love to see some proof on this..you know like your time slips. I'm also wondering what your r/t is to have such good 1/4 numbers like this with such LOW hp.

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust