Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

do i need to tune or chip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Default do i need to tune or chip?

i am about to install
4-2-1 dc sport headers+ ws2 cat back + intake, do i need to chip or tune my car once i add these things? and whats the best most inexpensive chip?
i hear that my mpg will go down, after i add exhaust and intake, if i tune/chip the car will it go back to normal or HOPEFULLY BETTER MPG?
last question does anyone knowhow much hp i get to the wheels stock?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by omeezy
i am about to install
4-2-1 dc sport headers+ ws2 cat back + intake, do i need to chip or tune my car once i add these things? and whats the best most inexpensive chip?
i hear that my mpg will go down, after i add exhaust and intake, if i tune/chip the car will it go back to normal or HOPEFULLY BETTER MPG?
last question does anyone knowhow much hp i get to the wheels stock?

you should retune the car. the gas miles should go up being that your putting more crap out the pipes. the intake will increase your mileage as well it helped my 94 accord breath better. you do not need a chip to gain gas mileage.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Supper Moderator

as I said be4. YES you need to tune your engine. You will need a chipped p28/p72 ecu and you will need to swap to OBD2 to OBD1. The chipped ecu will cost you $160.
Also you can't really determin how much power your gonna get to the wheels. But with a intake/exhaust and header you MIGHT see 6=7hp UNTUNED and MAYBE 10-12hp with a GOOD tune. That means you need to find a tuner who knows what they are doing.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Default thank you

Originally Posted by g22cd5
as I said be4. YES you need to tune your engine. You will need a chipped p28/p72 ecu and you will need to swap to OBD2 to OBD1. The chipped ecu will cost you $160.
Also you can't really determin how much power your gonna get to the wheels. But with a intake/exhaust and header you MIGHT see 6=7hp UNTUNED and MAYBE 10-12hp with a GOOD tune. That means you need to find a tuner who knows what they are doing.
i really appreciate you taking the time and answering my questions and i am glad u r giving me advice, but i would like as much feed back as possible. i like to see different views and opinions and not just take one answer as a 100% fact. thank you

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Supper Moderator

well if you want a chip thats what a "chip" is. You chip and socket your ecu with a tuning software. Thats the only way to tune your engine. Unless you go full engine management system. Like AEM makes (google AEM EMS)
Or you can get a chipped ecu like I was talking about.

hamotorsports.com/socketedecus.html

You would also have to get a OBD2 conversion harness to run a OBD1 ecu like I provided in the link ^

Your ecu is NOT tunable. So you need a tunable ecu. Most if not all hondas after 1998(?) have immobilizers in the ecu so you can't swap ecus around from other cars. Like some of us can with civic ecus.
I'mjust trying to tell you the right way to do things. So you don't end up buying a chip of ebay that says it will give you more HP and better MPG. Thos things are a joke and a waste of money. The 2 ways I told you are the only 2 ways to have your car tuned.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Ill just add to what g22 said. Hes completely correct that you need to find an obd1 ecu and have it socketed and chipped for a tune. Programs such as neptune and ectune are great software for this but you probably wont want to do this yourself. you will need to find a good honda tuner. Also since your car is obd2, as g22 said, you will need to convert to obd1. Youre going to want a conversion harness from rywire. they make things easy and prevent any headaches.

Now here is my opinion... Do not waste the money to tune your car. bolt ons on a stock 4 cylinder like yours are not going to add much power and $400-500 of tuning is not going to be worth it. Now if you swapped in an h22, f20b, or turbo then yes by all means get the ecu and tune for the sake of it being necessary. Otherwise save your money.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 PM

i spoke to a guy who owns a tunning shop and he said that tunning my car would make it more powerful and efficient and told me to get the p28 and jumper harness and the hondata, but he said it would be dangerous for my auto-tranny? do u guys know if thats true? and yes he said it would cost me around 500$. he also said that if dont drive my car differently aka more agressively then my mpg should stay the same

Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 AM

Well I dont know the tuner so I wont judge but tuning is not going to make that motor run better enough to be worth it. You dont have any serious power adders and you have an automatic transmission to boot. The famous transmission that had problems. Dont waste your money on a tune. Simply enjoy the bolt ons and save your money. He will not be pulling a lot of power out of that motor. For all Im concerned its hard to match and even harder to beat a honda factory tune. They are in place for a reason. The sensors should be able to make up for the changes in air flow.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Default i agree

Originally Posted by clutch811
Well I dont know the tuner so I wont judge but tuning is not going to make that motor run better enough to be worth it. You dont have any serious power adders and you have an automatic transmission to boot. The famous transmission that had problems. Dont waste your money on a tune. Simply enjoy the bolt ons and save your money. He will not be pulling a lot of power out of that motor. For all Im concerned its hard to match and even harder to beat a honda factory tune. They are in place for a reason. The sensors should be able to make up for the changes in air flow.
from all the different answers people gave me this is pretty much what most people have been telling me.
do i need to buy new gaskets for the dc sport headers im about to put on or do i just use the ones i pull of my stock ones?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Supper Moderator

if you get a tune you don’t have to spend $500 on a dyno tune. You can get a simple STREET tune which cost in the range of $80-120. Now yes when you do a engine swap with lots of aftermarket parts you want a dyno tune to pull out every bit of hp. Why I'm saying to get at least a street tune is b/c your gonna run hella rich on your a/f ratio. The stock ecu just can't adjust enough to run efficiently as well as for the performance aspect either.

Quick Reply: do i need to tune or chip?