Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Dual exhaust and intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Wilkz
Unregistered
Default Dual exhaust and intake

I'm looking for a dual exhaust for my 97 Accord LX. I heard some things about dual exhaust, like losing power with them or something. Any one know anything about it

Also, I heard that CAI can get water in your engine. But they also give you more high end power. But should I just go with a short ram to avoid that all together?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Dual exhaust and intake

ORIGINAL: Wilkz

I'm looking for a dual exhaust for my 97 Accord LX. I heard some things about dual exhaust, like losing power with them or something. Any one know anything about it

Also, I heard that CAI can get water in your engine. But they also give you more high end power. But should I just go with a short ram to avoid that all together?
its been a huge debate over the whole dual exhaust on 4cyl. Its not needed at all and reduces backpressure which can reduce power. I personally do not even like them on V6s. They just really arent necassary.

As for the CAI. Yes they can suck up water, but normally only under extremely wet conditions. My friend hydrolocked his motor with his CAI a few months ago. But it was like complete downpour for a day straight and it happened when he drove through a puddle that was alot deeper than he thought.

for normaly everday driving i wouldnt be worried. even in heavy rain its usually fine its when you go through really deep puddles.

Now that i think 2 of my friends actually hydrolocked their car on the same day in that rain storm, both from driving through deep puddles.

incase you didnt know, hydrolocking is when the motor sucks in water and then the pistons try to compress it but water doesnt compress so your motor grenades itself.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Wilkz
Unregistered
Default RE: Dual exhaust and intake

ah yeah im still not sure. i just love the way dual exhaust look. i dont know if i want to sacrifice power for looks tho..

yeah i forgot the word for it aha. but when it rains alot of places flood out around here. so i think im going to stay with the short ram