Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Effect of a Custom Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
GFM
Unregistered
Default Effect of a Custom Hood Scoop

Hey guys.

I've been lurking here since I decided to go with an Accord months back, and decided to finally register when I wanted some advice from all of you Accord enthusiasts.

First, a little bit about myself and my Honda.

I've got a '98 coupe with the 2.3l engine, with basic modifications such as a custom mandrel bent performance exhaust (2.5 inch head), a BOMZ SRI/ AEM Dryflow and I run every available Royal Purple fluid you can get for the vehicle. I've got a whole list of parts to purchase and fit as of yet, such as the ACT Heavy clutch/flywheel kit, AEM pulleys, DC Sports ceramic headers, Venom injectors, etc. I'm not looking for an 8 second 1/4 mile or anything, just something fun to work on and drive.

My next project is going to be a custom cut vent in my hood, placed directly above my SRI filter to get a little more air from the outside.

The question I have for all of you is:

Do you think the added airflow will create a noticable increase in the areas of either (or all) throttle response, low end torque and acceleration, and over all performance?

When all is said and done, the hole in my hood will be a circle with a 10 inch diameter, with a carbon fiber hoodscoop that bottlenecks the air directly into the newly cut vent.

I'm not expecting a huge difference in performance when all is said and done, but if it's any better at all, I'll be completely satisfied.

Any insight you can give will be appreciated, and I look forward to your input.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Default RE: Effect of a Custom Hood Scoop

I personally wouldn't do it. You risk getting water on the intake and also risk sucking in a little water you could put a bypass valve on. I do not think that you will notice a difference at all maybe on the dyno by 1hp at the most but you will not feel it or at least that is my opinion some one else may have a different opinion. I would say built a box around it and you will have less engine heat so there for reducing the intake air temp I am not 100% sure if water/methenal will help a car modded to where yours is i have never seen it on a NA car i bet it will work but only if you get a tune for it then you can advance the timing and use a leaner a/f to create more hp since your air intake temps will be more dense and cooler but as for the scoop it is most likely only going to be cosmetic

Old 03-04-2008, 02:48 PM

it wont provide any help untill you get into higher speeds. 0-60 nothing noticable. 60-100, you might feel it, or the placebo effect, either way youd probly be happy with your newly added rice hood orniment

Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM

i wouldn't if i was you....but are you trying to look for a way to get your engine to breath or are you just doing it for the hell of it

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
GFM
Unregistered

I'm not doing it 'for the hell of it', I want a little more throttle response at the low end of my RPM.

I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it, but it seems like there's only guessing being done as to how effective the vent will be.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: GFM

I'm not doing it 'for the hell of it', I want a little more throttle response at the low end of my RPM.

I just wanted to see if anyone had tried it, but it seems like there's only guessing being done as to how effective the vent will be.
No it isn't guessing it would basically be a RAM AIR hood which will not create and pressure in the manifold aka called boost until 420 something mph so it is a waste of time money and energy

Old 03-05-2008, 07:35 PM

yessir it is.he just summed it up

Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Almost A Senior Member

ORIGINAL: HORSEPOWERJUNKIE2007

yessir it is.he just summed it up
she*

Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: xpieceofcralpx