Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

To be exact...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Default To be exact...

What exactly is the Header? and Intake? And is the Exhaust the part you see, the part tht the smoke comes out of? (Muffler?)

I want to look into upgrading the muffler, or the vroom! part of the car, but i do not know which direction to go. The muffler on the car now is not stock, but i do not know what it is. I like the sound it makes tho..lol. But i dont know wat else to do to make it "better"

Old 06-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Default RE: To be exact...

If you like the sound the muffler makes then leave it. If it's not stock it's most likely aftermarket (doubt someone would need to replace with OEM unless it was broken). How big is the exhaust on it? You can get a cold air intake, just sucks in colder air and an aftermarket header improves exhaust flow. The H/I/E upgrade won't give you much hp but it improves the "breathing" of your car, pretty much.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Wat is OEM? and better breathing does what? Can i get those parts at a local Advanced Auto Parts or other shop? And how expensive is it to give my car better breathing?

i do not know how big the exhaust is. it isnt too big, kinda small for the amout of vroom it makes.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

OEM means parts that came on the car originally.

You can find the parts on eBay.

Dont buy the knock off less than $100 headers. i would recommend OBX.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 AM

Here is a picture of your stock exhaust manifold. It is the part you replace with a header. If you look under the hood, it is on the front side of the engine:

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/D04C1B209C124FC79C461EA0C968CFC8.gif[/IMG]

This is a picture of your car's stock exhaust system. It runs underneath your car from front to rear. It isconnected to the manifold pictured above.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7626/DAB123B8193F41EB9F25E9E85F02F710.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Ok. tht makes a little more sense. Maybe the rattling sound i hear is coming where the header would go, if i dont already have one. i would go check but its been raining here all day.

Well if i already have an after market exhaust, i should also have an after market header? Cuz if it was stock, then there would be no header?

It makes a little more sense, but i think it also confused me a little. The header is on the front and connects to the exhaust. and headers are put in, they do not already come with the car. and whats the purpose of each? The exhaust the header and intake. ( Intake=air, exhaust=vroom, header=?)

Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Your air intake sucks air into your engine which travels throughout and then runs into your header(if your car is a 4 cylinder then it only has one header), down through your downpipe(the pipe connected to the bottom of the header),and out of the exhaust(The pipe that runs along the bottomside of your car and out the back).The more air that goes into your engine the more horsepower you will obtain.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM

ok...
now im clear. Thankz everyone who helped. J_man kept it simple for me....

now onto my next step...check on the intake and header and see what i can do to gain horsepower. Thankz again

Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 AM

If you have a digital camera you could take some pics and post them on here and we could tell you what you got

Old 06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

remember that the intake needs an air filter!!! some intakes do not come w/ a filter...(like when i bought mine a long time ago!)
u can measure the exhaust size by simply taking a tape measure and measuring the outside. it should be about 3" which could mean that the piping should be of about 2.5"...well good luck!

Quick Reply: To be exact...