Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Exhaust manifold heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Default Exhaust manifold heat shield

So my EXHAUST manifold is starting to get rusty and rattly and I want to get rid of it, I was just wondering what experience people have had with removing or replacing this part. I'm leaning towards just removing and leaving it at that because it makes more financial sense if it's not going to hurt anything. I've heard some people with worries about cracking radiator fans and other plastic engine components and I'd like to hear someone with experience weigh in on this.

Last edited by Peli; 06-25-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: I goofed
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 PM

Are you talking about the exhaust manifold heat shield ? It's there for a reason to keep minimized the heat from all the plastic parts around it and the paint of the hood. But i'm running a header without the heat shield for about a year now and nothing bad happened yet, cross my finger :-)

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 PM

WHOOPS I do mean exhaust manifold heat shield! I've got intakes on the brain. So would the exhaust manifold get any hotter or radiate heat worse than aftermarket headers? I know lots of people run their cars with the headers exposed but I can't remember the last time I saw anyone with their manifold bare, probably because they're so ugly.
I'll see if there's a way I can secure the shield, but really if it's not going to melt anything I'd rather not shell out $50+ on a new one when that money could be spent better (AKA in a more fun way)

Last edited by Peli; 06-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Supper Moderator

If you don't want it anymore you can just remove it. Your not running 364685435hp so you don’t have to worry about heat temps. Now if you do want to keep it Go to a local pick n pull and snag one. It's held onto your header with 3 bolts takes like 5min to take off and replace.

I also edit your title for ya

Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
If you don't want it anymore you can just remove it. Your not running 364685435hp so you don’t have to worry about heat temps. Now if you do want to keep it Go to a local pick n pull and snag one. It's held onto your header with 3 bolts takes like 5min to take off and replace.

I also edit your title for ya
Yay thanks for the edit! I think I'll just leave it off. Maybe if a buddy has one he wants to part with I'll take it but it doesn't seem worth it if it's not going to ruin my fans or paint!

Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM

when i removed mine from my 94 lx my rad fan blades melted and deformed a little bit causing a knocking noise when the fan kicked on, I trimed the blades back a little bit and the problem never came back while I had the stock rad/fan setup. I am not sure if these are related but it happened within a week of me removing the heat shield. Never did I have a catostrophic failure of anything.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:02 AM

i removed mine when i installed me aftermarket headers on because they didnt have the bolt attachments for it anyways, no problems, it might be because the part is made for it though

Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM

3 weeks later and no problems with fans or any other plastic or paint under the hood. I like the look of the cast iron manifold. Looks better than the rusty shield did!

Photo was taken right after removal, still some PB Blaster on there. The bolts were in there real good.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 AM

maybe you could have it HIGHTemp painted...

Old 07-18-2011, 01:02 AM

That would be pretty easy. Or I could wrap them. I'll consider that this weekend depending on how much money I've got to spare

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold heat shield