Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

First Intake advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Default First Intake advice.

alright guys, i recently got a 98 honda accord ex with the v6 vtec. im a complete car noob.. but the first thing i want to do is put in a short ram intake. i want to know what will give me the best sound and the most power, cost isnt really too much of an issue. any advice?

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM

IMO they're pretty much the same as far as performance goes between brands. Any top brand would be a good choice. AEM, Injen, Fujita, K&N, etc. Metal tube intakes give less performance gains than a plastic tube intake. This is because the metal tube retains more heat than the plastic tubes do.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Honestly dude, this HP intakes are a scam. They don't do much else besides spiral the air as its being sucked in. You'll see MAYBE a 1-3 hp difference. In my build i got 2 flex pipes. One from the filter to the TB then one from the filter to the fender.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Supper Moderator

best first advice I can give you is....SEARCH. This topic has been
covered 34563432146841231684515321 times and then some. Sorry to sound like a D-bag but since your new better start you out the right way.

Originally Posted by Sparkknocker
IMO they're pretty much the same as far as performance goes between brands. Any top brand would be a good choice. AEM, Injen, Fujita, K&N, etc. Metal tube intakes give less performance gains than a plastic tube intake. This is because the metal tube retains more heat than the plastic tubes do.

Also a metal pipe might get little bit hotter but reduces turbulence unlike the plastic tubes will. So right there is a power lose.

A good name brand intake will produce better numbers...it’s been proven (search for it)
A good brand such a AME took countless hrs. and dollars to make the best flow possible. They actually spend the money of flow testing then tweak the product to get the best flow. That’s why a GOOD name intake will cost you $200+. Your not really paying for the material as much as your paying for the design.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by g22cd5
best first advice I can give you is....SEARCH. This topic has been
covered 34563432146841231684515321 times and then some. Sorry to sound like a D-bag but since your new better start you out the right way.

Also a metal pipe might get little bit hotter but reduces turbulence unlike the plastic tubes will. So right there is a power lose.

A good name brand intake will produce better numbers...it’s been proven (search for it)
A good brand such a AME took countless hrs. and dollars to make the best flow possible. They actually spend the money of flow testing then tweak the product to get the best flow. That’s why a GOOD name intake will cost you $200+. Your not really paying for the material as much as your paying for the design.

I still think its a scam, whats the most you'll see out of a upgraded intake? 2-8 hp? for $200? My engine is to big for my bay, and the metal intake i had on ended up with a hole in the back of it b/c it was so tight. I had to use flex pipe to make sure nothing rubbed. Ive seen no power decrease/increase at all.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 PM

if that wont do much, then what else can i do thatll give me more power thats also still fairly easy?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sethgreen
I still think its a scam, whats the most you'll see out of a upgraded intake? 2-8 hp? for $200? My engine is to big for my bay, and the metal intake i had on ended up with a hole in the back of it b/c it was so tight. I had to use flex pipe to make sure nothing rubbed. Ive seen no power decrease/increase at all.
It really depends on the application. I normally stick with K&N, they have been around forever and post up dyno charts for most intakes. It varies from vehicle to vehicle but you generally will see approximately 7-12 hp gains at the wheels from a name brand intake. Aftermarket throttle bodies and exhaust will add to the gains. Will you see 100 hp difference? Absolutely not. But for bolt on mods it is hard to start with a quality intake.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-1211_dyno.pdf

Some vehicle have very restrictive stock intakes. Take for example the 2003-04 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra. You put an intake on that and you will gain a whopping 30 HP at the wheels.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/57-2545_dyno.pdf

Last edited by Sparkknocker; 01-14-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kohlkohlkohl
if that wont do much, then what else can i do thatll give me more power thats also still fairly easy?
Bolt on modification will never produce much for power gains. If you are looking for power then you should have bought a different car than a Honda Accord. You can make the car fast but you better have a thick wallet and plenty of time.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Depending on what your compression is you can always slap a small turbo and boost 6psi without any big problems. if your going N/A bisimoto camshafts and a tune would make A LOT of difference. The main thing most car people forget about is how much hidden HP you can get from adjusting the timing. dont expect to see over 200whp without dumping serious serious money into it. I have a bisimoto nitrous built f22b1. even with everything done it only dyno'd at 160whp and 150ftq. So I'd rate it at somewhere around 190-200 at the crank.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

theres deff some horsepower you get from everything else being stock

Quick Reply: First Intake advice.