Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Default Flowmaster

Has anyone attempted to use a flowmaster single inlet dual outlet muffler in place of the resonator and just ran the pipes out of the back rather than having 2 mufflers on their accords? I am thinking about doing this on my 1998 LX V6. I wanted to get some opinions before I attempt it. Thanks guys.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Well if you go that way, take a before and after sound clip so we can hear it

Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Poorman, in your experience, would you remove the resonator or leave it in place? I just want a good, deep exhaust note, not obnoxiously "ricey", if you follow me. I know that I want to delete the pre-muffler, but I am questioning the resonator, I don't want a drone while I am on the highway.

Last edited by brian74d; 04-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Well I'm not going to be much help on this.....I keep my Honda's stock so I have ZERO experience on this. Someone here recently replaced the res with a "cherry bomb" type muffler?

Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 AM

if you want something deep and not raspy, keep the resonator. It also helps the drone. Look into a Magnaflow system.....that seems very close to what you are looking for. The whole cat-back system will delete your pre-muffler, and just have a resonator, with the dual mufflers. The piping is mandrel bent, stainless steel as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:02 AM

I do really like the sound of the magnaflow, but after speaking to the moneykeeper (wife) she will not let me spend that much on a 15 yr. old car (she just doesn't get it). So I have to find a more "economical" solution to appease her. That's why I suggested what I did, I do agree that the resonator needs to stay where it's at. I only want to change what's after that. I'll let you guys know what I come up with and take before and after videos as well as photos so you can see my attempt at a cheap, good sounding exhaust system for the accord.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM

My set up is a flowmaster 44 with a 2.5" in, 2x 2.25" out, but thats on a single exhaust. Got so loud I put a glasspack after the cat. Flowmasters are pretty aggressive.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM

When you say loud are you talking obnoxiously loud, or deep, throaty loud? I currently have a test tube in place of the cat (no emissions or inspections in Florida, thank God!), and am wanting to keep the resonator in place to keep it from being obnoxious. All I want is a good, clear, deep, throaty sound. It sounds like I may want to go with a Flowmaster Delta to keep it within reason.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brian74d
I currently have a test tube in place of the cat (no emissions or inspections in Florida, thank God!)...
What about the air we all have to breathe?

I remember the bad old pre-emission controlled days and I am extremely thankful cars are now equipped with catalytic converters (along with other technology to clean them up).

Please tell us you're planning on putting the cat back on.

Last edited by shipo; 04-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM

The more I see shipo's comments the more I love them.

But it was an aggressive sound. Thats all I can really say. Mechanic said my car sounded like his vintage corvette. Thats with a beefed up intake though.

Throaty: you want to leave the cat- the power they reduce is negligible in 4 cylinders and helps muffle the sound, have a good resonator and do a glasspack muffler. If youre bent on flowmasters get a flowmaster 40. Its slightly longer for a quieter sound. Louder doesnt always mean sporty.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster