Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Forced air fully functional ram hood intake system

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Default Forced air fully functional ram hood intake system

Is it possible instead of a cai sri intake is it possible to do a forced ram air hood intake system? I dont exactly know how to say that but hopefully you know what im talking about. Let me know everybody, if its been done or even possible. And if will gain me anything more than a sri or cai would.
J

Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Default RE: Forced air fully functional ram hood intake system

ANYTHING is possible, whether you want to cut a hole in your hood is another matter. Or get a cf hood, or a fiberglass hood, and try and make an intake system that will match up. Good question though, that might look pretty cool. AND be functional

Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Gains will only be seen at 80mph+ and a little more of a gain at over 120mph. If installed properly the CAI will get a little bit of that anways, but considering the speeds needed to make it worthwhile those gains arent great for a 4 cyl thats why you see that kinda thing on v8's that goto the track and arnt forced induction. It can be done but its more of a hazard then a CAI depending on the design but you will most likely take on water anyways from rain.

Mind you thats gains over a CAI or SRI

Old 01-05-2008, 12:27 PM

You're better off making one out of a headlight.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM

not true, for any of you.

Ram air intakes are fairly easy to create, just hard to make look good. If you want one that will yeild gains at >80 mph you will need whats called a "bell-mouth inlet". It has a converging duct, that speeds up the inducted air. sort of like this: (engine)(inlet)<
with the < being the inlet, its shaped like that. (not that curved though, your looking for about a 33% reduction in size from the big end to the small end.
Your best bet for placing it is in the bumper somewhere, theres a couple of places in the 6th gens (namely along the outside edges of the opening in the bumper)
however the size of those holes looks pretty small, might want to consider finding a way to make them bigger.
along the hood is another option, but youll be paying quite a bit for the hood, and will have to custom make an intake. If its in the bumper you could most likely modify a CAI.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 PM

I dont really like the giant nostil ram air hoodsu see on some of these civics.On a cf wouldnt the air just blow accross the top? On the cf hoods ive seen the ports in the hood dont stand out. Not much forced air being crammed into the engine.

Anybody know of a hood style like on the 06 gtos thats made for the 06 4dr accord?

Nofango, do you know if it will gain me any power?
Does anyone knowwhat to do about the water?
Marbro my cars a 3.0 v6.Willthat make much differance as opposed to the 4cyl?
J

Old 01-05-2008, 03:32 PM

it will gain power, only problem is there is no accurate way to measure how much power, considering the car needs to be in motion for the ram air to take effect.
in my turbines class, at about 800mph a turbine engine can produce almost twice the power with a non-bell-mouth inlet, but thats at like 800mph...

your looking at like 5 or 6 hp realistically, which is pretty good.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM

you'd be better off to buy one of those kits that has a CAI and a connection for ram air that goes to the bumper.... can't recall off the top of my head who makes them (Dragon? Typhoon? something like that....)

Old 01-05-2008, 06:19 PM

you have be be going i think 420 mile per hour for ram air to even function the way it was designed to. Learned that at UTI. So ram air is pointless

Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM

Buy a cold air intake and cut a hole in your bumper where the filter is located so that you can get more air to it

Quick Reply: Forced air fully functional ram hood intake system